Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike acting up!

Hi all,

It's been a while since i posted here...my GS550 have been acting weird on the freeway.

Actually it was only two times (one way there and one way back) after that i didn't ride it anymore.

Here's the problem...

I was ridding and all of the suden, i lost power, same way as if it were running out of gas...i started heading to the exit and just as it went, the power came back.

It did that quite a few times, sometimes for a long time.

A little history on the bike:

I bought it non running from a friend and fixed it. After i fixed it it ran on two cylinders for a while 'till with help from a friend we got it rinning "on all fours", i cleaned the carb and changed fuel filter.

What do you guys sugest i look for? I checked the fuel filter and it's clean.

Can the cylinders stop running and just like that, came back to normal?

Thanks,

Marcelo

Check the gas cap vent it may be filled with crud, causing a vacuum in the tank after a high speed run on the highway

Comment

You may also have a coil going bad. It happened to me and I was sure it was a gas problem... at least its what it feels like when the coil slowly gives up the ghost!
      GY

Comment

Acting up...

Originally posted by Gerryy
        You may also have a coil going bad. It happened to me and I was sure it was a gas problem... at least its what it feels like when the coil slowly gives up the ghost!
        GY
        Thank you Gerryy and Lynn! I'll check the gas cap...

Is there a test for the coils?

Comment

Check the resistance of your sparkplug boots. You need to unscrew the boot from the lead to do this. They should be 5k ohms. If they are breaking down and open-circuiting the plug won't fire. When they start breaking down it is intermittent at first, then permanent over the next few weeks or months. If one is going out replace both as the other one is probably not far behind.

Kim

Comment

Working...
          X