front brake light switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front brake light switch

i have a 78 gs1000 the front brake light assembly is shot when i took it apart it actually fell apart i bought a new O.E.M part but no instructions any idea how it goes together i don't know cause it fell apart before i had a chance to look at it..... im stumped it has the 2 wire circuit, a spring and a little black square piece with a small part protruding from it,then the black cover that screws it all into place any ideas would be appreciated nothing on it in the service manual just the electrical connections

You need to turn the master upside down Or I can guarantee you will lose parts Fit the black plastic pin into opening, make sure to position it with the oblong side of the pin in the direction of movement, install the spring into the plastic piece then put the copper U shaped piece over the spring Make sure to position the copper piece to move across the wire contacts not against them Hold the circuit & cover on & install the screws

Comment

This is a tricky proceedure that I had to go through also. I dropped that damn spring and copper contact like three times onto the blacktop and spent a good amout of time on my hands and knees looking for them, so be careful. SqDancerLynn1 has the steps laid out, I hope this diagram from bikebandit.com helps too!

Comment

and add a dab of dieletric grease on the contact. Mine had
        a habit of getting stuck on when I release the brake.

Comment

Just to add, if your new switch comes un-assembled...
          The "U" shaped copper piece has two little nubs on each side. Place the little spring onto the small post/pin in the trigger cavity, then align the nubs with the openings on each side of the trigger body. Push in until the nubs lock into the openings. The trigger/spring/copper piece are all one unit now.
          Insert the unit into the brake lever so the lever will operate it correctly, hold it up there with a screwdriver tip, then insert the wire/plastic cover and slip the tool out and set the screws.
          Don't pay too much for these switches either. I see them all the time on E-bay for "buy it now" of under $10 and a couple bucks shipping.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

It should come assembled in the bag, not in pieces. Also, it is a little tricky, but I have installed it many times (they wear out a lot) without turning the perch upside down.
            I have gotten them from my dealer for $6 each, so I keep a spare always.
            BTW, it is for my GFs bike, so I have to make sure it is always in good working order LOL

Comment

Working...
            X