Front Fork HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Fork HELP!!!!

Is nothing easy? I need to replace fork seal on a 83 GSX1100ES.

I've removed the front forks. To dismantle the fronk fork I need to 'remove cap bolt'. One of the bolts is completely sheared off (they glued the rubber cap on with silicon) and the only way I can get it off is to call "Captain Angle Grinder". The other is on so tight I can't budge it and the nut is starting to show signs of rounding off. There is an adjustment screw in the middle of the cap bolt which does seem to move a bit.

Is the cap bolt supposed to unscew? How tight are they and are they normally a PITA to get off?

This bike is NOT riding me mad - worse luck!

A big part of the problem is likely that over the years water got up under the rubber caps and corroded the fork caps in place. Try penetrating fluid for a couple of days and try again.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I might try the parafin wax tip as suggested in Tips and Tricks. Oh! and I am right in assuming the caps do screw off, there are no other tricks to getting them off? Simply undo the caps with a spanner - yes?

Once again, thanks for your patience!

Comment

If they have hex heads they screw off. If they have a flat head with a small concave hole in the center and are countersunk in the fork tube they have a clip that needs to be removed then they pop out if they aren't corroded in place.

Comment

Working...
        X