Getting spray paint off of motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting spray paint off of motor

I have a 1980 Suzuki gs450l. I have rebulit the carbs on it and it now runs great! However, the previous owner for whatever reason thought it would look good to spray paint the motor. I found this out when I was taking off the carbs and some gas spilled on to the motor. When I wiped off the gas the paint came off and there was bright, shiny chrome below the paint. Can someone give me some good advice on how to take off all the paint on the motor. Any help would be appreciated.

MAYBE PAINT STRIPPER. IF ITS REGULAR SPRAY PAINT, IT TENDS TO MELT OFF AT HIGH TEMPETURES. MAYBE RUNNING THE BIKE HOT WILL MELT IT OFF. BRAKE FLUID ALSO TAKES OFF PAINT. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE BLEEDING MY BRAKES AND SPILLING IT ALL OVER THE TANK.

Comment

Get a resperator mask and fashion a makeshift paint booth and scrub the motor with some thinner or something.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

DO NOT use paint stripper on anything aluminum. Some strippers will turn aluminum black. If gas loosened some of it I'd think that a hot solvent like acetone or laquer thinner would take it off. The thing to do is try a little on an inconspicuous spot and see how it works. soft rags and Qtips and lots of patience and you'll be in great shape, and have a great looking bike.

Comment

i stripped my engine cases clean with spray on paint stripper and they did not turn black. What kind of chemical would blacken aluminum?

Some cleaners can turn aluminum white if the metal is hot and they are used straight (Simple Green for example) but not MEK or Toulene.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by pntrdave
            DO NOT use paint stripper on anything aluminum. Some strippers will turn aluminum black. If gas loosened some of it I'd think that a hot solvent like acetone or laquer thinner would take it off. The thing to do is try a little on an inconspicuous spot and see how it works. soft rags and Qtips and lots of patience and you'll be in great shape, and have a great looking bike.
            I'd like to see pictures of this blackened aluminum. If it's an even coloring it actually might be preferable when you get tired of bare or polished aluminum.

Comment

two suggestions... IF it's a regular aerosol spray paint, take the bike to a power car wash and take along several cans of aerosol engine degreaser. Spray the engine thoroughly and then pressure wash it afterwards. repeat as necessary. It might help to have a brush of some sort handy to help in a few places. Many degreasers will quickly soften spray paint.

IF it's a regular automotive type paint, I'd look into finding some aircraft paint stripper. There are quite a few out there, and they're all safe for aluminum. Most wash off with water quite easily. A pressure wash would for sure finish the job.

Comment

Are there any concerns of damaging engine gaskets with paint stripper?
                2010 Honda VFR1200F
                1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                Being Revisited
                1981 Honda CM400T
                http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Not as long as the gasket is clenched tightly between machined surfaces. Any gasket material that protrudes might possibly be softened, but simply take a safety razor and trim that off, and the remainder is fine. The stripper will not cause any problem with the gaskets that are between surfaces.

Comment

Be careful with pressure washers. Bikes are barely waterproof as it is and you can blast water into swingarm bearings, spark plug boots, electrical connectors, headlight buckets, speedometers, carb bowl vents, and other orifices too nasty to mention.

Just be careful and use a lower setting than you would on a Chevy.

Go ahead, ask me how I know about this.

Comment

So How do you know about that Duaneage

Comment

Try getting stuck at a car wash with a bike that won't start and water in a few connectors.

Comment

Working...
                        X