cv carbs & boots for 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cv carbs & boots for 750

Who is running more modern cv carbs on their old 750's? I have a 78 I'm rebuilding & would like the ease of these newer carbs.

Also, what did you do about the intake rubbers?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

anyone?

Is there a way to adapt modern carbs to the old style intake rubbers?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

You are very limited because of the small head ports, no manifolds available. The 2V 750 was never offered with CV carbs. Some say that & 850 top end will fit onto the 750, so in theory you could use the later style 80 up 850 & then you would have the large ports & could use almost any type of carb. Be prepared for machine work cylinders/barrels if you try an 850 swap

Comment

Has someone got pictures of the 850 head showing the ports & carbs? I've heard of the 850 swap. You would need pistons & barrels & head, I believe.

What years fit & are all 850's shafties?

Comment

The 850 had the BS type constant velocity CV carbs starting 1980

Comment

Do I need the 850 barrels or can I just press out the old inserts & press in 850 ones?
            Also, can I use my 750 cams?

Comment

I know this swap has been done before.

Anyone???

Comment

Is there a problem with the slide carbs on your bike? What is your expectation in changing over to CV carbs?

Comment

no, nothing is wrong with the old slide carbs except for a rebuild. I have a 1200 Bandit & found the cv carbs easier to work with & dial in after putting a pipe on the bike.

Comment

I must be smokin' too much crack tonight, I reckon, cuz I'm really missing something here...You'll change the head, pistons, cylinder block, or maybe just have inserts pressed in your old block, to use CV carbs because they are easier to dial in after putting on a pipe. Speakin' of pipe, pass that back this way. :roll:

Comment

Let me explain.
                      I am building a stout street engine. To do this I am using whatever parts give me the best bang for the buck. That includes 850 parts for the increase in displacement & torque. I'll do a mild head port & run a 4-1 pipe. Running the cv carbs is just done to update the whole project as much as possible.
                      There is a reason most bikes still running carbs, use the cv's. Makes more sense now?

Comment

Yeah, I guess so. Just seems like it's a hard way to do it. Good luck!

Comment

Well Jim,
                          I am open to suggestions. Is there a simpler way to give me what I want?
                          I don't want to get into radical cams or anything that will compromise the reliability of the 750 2v. I know some of you will say "just toss in a 1000 motor" but there aren't a lot available.

Comment

No, I'm a toss in a 1000 kinda guy. You know what you want so go for it! Take some pics as the project comes together.

Comment

So, I just need the 850 head, cylinders & pistons w/wrist pin right, can I use my 750 cams & cam chain tensioner, valve cover etc?

Comment

Working...
                              X