Clutch cable...weird problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cable...weird problem

Ok, so some of you may know that I dropped my chain a few weeks back (at very low speeds) and didn't seem to do any damage. I rode the bike home after replacing the master link(chain was ok). Overall since dropping the chain I have put between 60 and 70 miles on the bike.

So now this new problem...Today I rode the bike over to the insurance agency(about a mile from home, if that), to deal with some wierd bull about the insurance. I fixed it and came outside...and the clutch cable felt like it was broken. The clutch was "stuck" in the "clutch-in" position, and wouldn't come out...this stopped me from kick starting the bike, so I was forced to run it, and throw it into 2nd. Once the bike got started and going, the clutch seemed to work fine, and when I got it home and took it apart, the clutch cable looks fine, as does the rest of the stuff inside there...

Any idea what could have happened?

--L

You slightly bent the clutch actuator rod. I did the same thing once on a GPZ.
    KK

Comment

Originally posted by lord1234
      Ok, so some of you may know that I dropped my chain a few weeks back (at very low speeds) and didn't seem to do any damage. I rode the bike home after replacing the master link(chain was ok). Overall since dropping the chain I have put between 60 and 70 miles on the bike.

So now this new problem...Today I rode the bike over to the insurance agency(about a mile from home, if that), to deal with some wierd bull about the insurance. I fixed it and came outside...and the clutch cable felt like it was broken. The clutch was "stuck" in the "clutch-in" position, and wouldn't come out...this stopped me from kick starting the bike, so I was forced to run it, and throw it into 2nd. Once the bike got started and going, the clutch seemed to work fine, and when I got it home and took it apart, the clutch cable looks fine, as does the rest of the stuff inside there...

Any idea what could have happened?

--L
      Next time it happens, disconnect the clutch cable at the actuating lever (sitting above the clutch housing). This will tell you if it's inside the clutch or it's the hand-lever/cable.

Comment

Clutch stuck

Wow, similar problem. My clutch was a little sticky. I pulled just the top and used my trusty old cable clamp oiler (aluminum and rubber clamp thingy that seals over the cable and has a hole for spray lube). I flushed with some LPS thin lubricant, then followed up with some spray grease (starts out really thin, then sets up pretty thick.

The problem got WORSE. I blew it off while testing other parts of the bike.

Then, during one test drive, the clutch stuck in the in position. Wierd.

I got home and pulled the clutch cable cover and sprocket cover. There was a mouse nest and lots of dried mud around the clutch actuator. I notice the grease zirk fitting. The little rotator actuator that converts the cable pull to pushing the clutch rod was BONE DRY. It looked like it had never seen grease.

I cleaned everything up, greased it up, and all's well. The clutch is now EASY to pull.

Check it out. In my case, there are LOTS of things to check on a 29 year old bike that has been sitting for 3 years in a dry desert environment.

Still working the carbs.

Stu
        78 GS550
        72 CB350F
        79 CBX
        78 XL250S
        78 DR370

Comment

Working...
        X