1978 Suzuku GS750 pinging noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 Suzuku GS750 pinging noise?

Ok so i bought this 78 GS750 last month. I put new in new spark plugs, a new battery, and started riding it. I just did an oil change in it a few days ago.
    Now in low rpms, or in 1-2 gear, i hear this pinging or clunk noise. At first i figured my chain was too loose and was hitting the center kickstand.. i tightend the chain a bit, but not too tight of course, and i still here the clunk noise..
    its hard to describe, but it goes away once i hit 5th gear and up around 60 mph.
    Now i know the chain is a bit stretched, i will be getting a new one soon, as well as new sprockets.

When listening to it, it kinda sounds like maybe a sprocket tooth is missing and/or the chain is clicking, yet its not coming from the rear end or rear sprocket.
    I am having the front forks rebuilt soon, so i dont plan on riding the bike till after that is done and this problem is fixed.

SO heres the summary... the clunking started after i did an oil change and remounted my rear tire/rim after i had a new tire put on the rim.

Any help or thoughts will be appreciated....

Glenn C
    Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2006, 01:09 PM.

Maybe your chain is rubbing on your chaingaurd.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Chain Guard

I dont think its the chain guard, but i will check...
      If so, i'll test it by riding it without the guard a bit... then put it back on..

Glenn C

Comment

Any other ideas

Any other ideas on what this clunking or pinging noise could be??
        If it was the chain guard, wouldnt it keep doing it up in 5th gear too at around 60 mph?
        It's much more noticeable in 1st to 2nd gear, just a clunk noise, maybe a bit of slippage.. more then likely its the chain or sprocket i am thinking.

Glenn C

Comment

Oops

Well i took off the chain guard, i rode it, it still makes the clunking noise...

So i put it up on the stand, put it in gear, and watched the back tire sproket and chain....
          its definatley the chain going clunk, like the front and rear sprokets are line up exactly....
          Now i am sure that when i took the back wheel off, had the new tire mounted on the rim, then put the tire back on the bike, that i put all the spacers in their correct spots.
          Now it may be that the chain is too stretched, because i know the axel bolt is all the way back as far as it can go in that groove...
          i will post a pic of it tonite, so someone can give me some advice...
          more then likely, its New Chain and Sproket Time!!!

Thanks

Comment

Have you checked your sprocket to make sure it is not bent slightly or maybe just one tooth bent?Also check each link,one could be hanging up.When you roll it over by hand does it do it in the same place everytime?

Comment

Sproket and Chain

Thanks for the info.. i will test that when i get home this evening....

The chances of the sproket being bent may be slim, unless the shop that mounted the tire on the rim managed to bend it...

I will check this tonight and post here again if i come across any thing new..
              Thanks

Comment

I've had this exact problem. Learn from me before toasting a set of sprockets and a chain.

Did you trust the hash marks on your swingarm to align the rear wheel when you installed it? They are almost never right. I now use a different method (not saying it's right). Install the wheel, get the tension close, and put a shop light on the floor pointing towards you. Sit on the floor facing the wheel. You want to be able to see the amount of space between the sideplates of the chain and the sprocket. Spin the wheel by hand and adjust until you see light on either side of the sprocket. The chain will likely walk from side to side, but make the amount of space as close as possible between both sides. You can also do a string line alignment, but that is too much thinking for me.

Also, how do you adjust your chain for tension? Remember, a chain requires NO pre-tension at all to work properly. As a matter of fact, I keep mine as loose as possible without it slapping the chain gaurd or swingarm over bumpy roads. It is about 2" of slack when on the center stand. Too tight a chain is way worse than too loose.

Is the bike new to you? It's possible that a previous owner had installed a new chain to some worn sprockets. Thats a big no-no. Always replace the sprockets at the same time as a chain.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Problem persists

Yes the bike is new to me. I am the 3rd owner.
                  The guy i bought it from, only had it for 1 year, and put on about 3000 miles in 3-5 of last summer months.
                  He never put a new chain or sprockets on it, but he did mention he did spray it and lube it up when needed, and in his ad in the paper, he did mention it needed new tires and new chain/sprockets.

So i have put on a new rear tire, and i will be getting a new chain and sprockets next, but first i am having the front forks rebuilt/sealed.

The bike is going in next week for the forks, and when that is done, i will order a chain and sprockets.

But for now, i just want to get this fixed, cause its annoying..

As from what i can tell, i put the bike up on the center stand, and rol the tire, the chain does appear to catch or come off the sprocket a tad... i figure the back axel bolt isnt straight, and its off, the right side is a tad too far back... or vice versa..
                  I have loosend the axel bolt, readjusted it, and retightend it several times, but still, its not straight, and
                  Those has marks you mentioned, arent helpful or trustworthy...
                  and the otherway mentioned, i dont uderstand that...

Glenn C

Comment

CHAIN LUBE! my bike would make the most annoying random noises when riding in 1st, 2nd, 3rd. sound kinda of went away in 4th and 5th. once i lubed up the chain, it became absolutely silent. every few hundred miles it would Dry out and here i have this funky clunky and rattling screeching sound everytime i would just get the bike moving. LUBE THE CHAIN!!!!!

Comment

Lube

Yeah Lube the Chain....I know that.... but what type of lube should i use??
                      I have some chain spray lube i use on my fourwheeler, will that work? i dont know why it wouldnt?!:?

What about old fashioned WD-40???
                      I read in an ATV magazine, that WD40 even works great! and its a rust inhibitor or whatever and is much cheaper. Can i use that on the motorcycle?
                      I had a guy tell me that you should only use motorcycle lube thats designed for it. I am like, ok a fourwheeler has a chain, and 2 sprockets, and a road motorcycle has a chain and 2 sprockets, SO why would u need a different type of lube???

Let me know what ur comments are, and i will lube the chain up really good..

Thanks

Comment

wd-40 is too lightweight, use your other stuff it will work fine.

Comment

chain lube is chain lube to me, i even used chainsaw chain lube. wd-40 is useless. any can that says chain lube and is oily will work. same chain lube that goes on your fourwheeler will work fine.

Comment

Working...
                          X