X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark plugs how hot to pull them out?

hi all

1985 gsxes 750 4 into 1 popping out exhust not backfire but popping

i am have a lean plug on cyl 1 witish plug, i think it is a stick float etc as it comes and goes a bit.

how hot can you pull them out (motor heat)

can i fly round the block up the road & pull them HOT or do i have too wait for the motor to cool down

my dad used to always say never pull plugs from a hot motor as it can break or damage THE PLUG OR MOTOR!!!??? (wivestail?)

i have read threads here about killing the motor for a plug read but do you do it on the side of the highway (hot motor)etc or how do you get home without changing revs / jets???

cheers all

Pull 'em hot but make sure before when you put them in you hand tightened to seat the plug gasket then used a wrench to quarter to half a turn tighten.
    Ideally, plug reads should be done at open throttle then an instant motor shut down. You take a plug wrench with you on the highway but for practical purposes, a good ride then a reading back in the garage will get you close.

Comment

anyone else got an Opinion on this

went for another ride, plug #1 is going darker (tanner) #4 is rich which i prefer to white

happened just before i switched to reserve and fueled up.

i just thought she was low on juice but it continued after fill up.

pulled plug 1 white (has been trouble before), tapped carbs carby cleaner for intake leaks etc, tightened up the exhaust manifolds a bit.

seems to be better, slight burble to exhaust at 3-4 k in netural but no pops etc.

might replace those exhaust gaskets, would you get pops (at exhaust) from exhaust gasket leak?? thought that was more an air intake leak?

Comment

You will get poppng from bad exhaust gaskets from lack of back pressure and cause a lean condition.(ex. you have to jet richer for free flowing pipes) Bad intake gaskets cause you to run lean and will also cause popping but will also cause a high or surging idle after warm-up. Are you running a stock setup?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks Chef

its got a four into one with yoshi pipe rest is stock including airbox etc, pipe was there when i got her 3000klms ago. (1985 750 gsxe 15000klms) it is now winter here 7 deg cel last night so that might effect a bit (Australia) (dont know the history of jets etc inside carb)

has run perfect up untill a while ago when i changed oil and plugs etc and have had a few issues since

thought i stirred up some trouble when i removed the tank for plugs, this issue actually cleared itself for a couple of weeks. popped on an in line filter to check but think i might remove after reading some posts etc and clean tank properly etc.

i dont seem to be getting any power loss / surging etc, and after tightening the exhaust maniflolds (half a turn) last night it has stopped popping. think i might go get some new exhaust gaskets. it still has a slight burble but i might just be hearing her sweet notes!!

more worried about that lean plug on #1 (not so lean later last nigth after second run) but am concerned about it continuing to be lean out.

shes in top nick and i want it to stay that way :-D

thanks fo rthe help

Comment

intake boots

forgot to mention i have tried to check intake boots using carb cleaner sprayed while running etc and seems good (no change to revs etc)

whats the best spray?

carb cleaner
            wd 40
            aero start ( engine starter )

Comment

None of the above, I'm sad to say. I have had baddly cracked and rotted carb boots show no idle increase or decrease with any type of flammiable spray or water mist. To check them properly, pull them from the bike and squeeze them in your hand. If there are cracks, you'll see them.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I've had great luck using BrakeKleen to check for intake leaks. If it gets sucked into a leaky manifold, you don't want to be breathing it though-stinks pretty bad.

Comment

Working...
                X