Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange Electrex problem

On '81 GS 850G.

1. Installed new Electrex stator & R/R. Also Kuryakan 8-LED charge indicator.

2. When I first start out the LED guage shows 1 green light-OK charge level.

3. When I turn on headlight at idle 2 yellow LED's- battery drain ?

(2 yellow LEDs indicate approx 12v or so, 1 green LED indicates in the 13v or so range according to the scale)

4. At running speed w/HL on, the LED guage shifts back & forth between 1 green LED and the 2 yellow.- showing fluctuating voltage????

5. Strange part- after I ride for between 10-20 min the guage always is on 1 green LED unless I go to idle speed where it drops back to the 2 yellow but ceases to shift back & forth.

6. USe of hi-beam, horn brake lights, turn signals, etc have no effect on any of this.

My question- Is there some factor that increases the voltage level that has to do wiith running time? Does the oil around the stator/rotor transmit charge better when it is finally at full operating temp? I cannot imagine time itself is a factor so thought perhaps it is the temp/viscosity of the oil.

Bike is Black!

Thanks,

DH

Originally posted by suzukizone
    My question- Is there some factor that increases the voltage level that has to do wiith running time?
    Yes, the battery is charging during running time and when it is fully charged, the voltage is higher.

Originally posted by suzukizone
    Does the oil around the stator/rotor transmit charge better when it is finally at full operating temp? I cannot imagine time itself is a factor so thought perhaps it is the temp/viscosity of the oil.
    No. The oil has nothing to do with transmitting charge.

Comment

Make sure your battery is filled, charged and all cells are good. A bad battery can really screw with the electrical charge

Comment

The RR is affected by heat. Once it warms up its operating differently. I noticed this behavior on both an original RR and a new Rick's.

Comment

strange Electrex problem

Thanks all. Battery really new, should be tip top but will test it out w/ hydrometer & load tester soon as I can. So it is the recharging of the batt not the oil temp. I keep it hooked onto a battery tender every nite so it may be a battery issue. Yuck just got this one a few months ago. But feel the batt is getting a good charge according to guage after a few min so should be ok for awhile.

Thanks again.

DH:-D

Comment

Even if the battery is new and in good condition, starting the bike consumes energy that is replaced by the bike's charging system. It is not immediately replaced, but might take 10-15 minutes of running time to bring the battery back to full charge. The more times the starter is used, the more energy has to be replaced and the longer it will take to replace it.

Comment

everybody forgot the obvious; we're assuming that the new led voltmeter is accurate. Check voltage at the battery terminals with a good voltmeter and see if it jives with the led one.

Comment

Working...
              X