Speedometer SOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer SOS

Hey guys hope you can get me out of this delima or point me in the right direction...

I bought a replacement speedometer from a ebay seller and it got to me but the shafts the gears are on are a bent/broken. The idea I was getting this was for the working odo and trip odo but now I need to salvage parts from another cluster to replace the parts that are busted in this guy. Othe rthan that it looks just fine.

Hoping you guys could tell me if I can just use any 85mph speedometer from other GS's and if they have simular components to widen the salvage parts search.

Let me know since I am anxious to get this guy repaired and on my GS sometime soon =)

Bike information:

1980 GS750E
    mileage ( don't know odo is busted:shock: )

--------------

Fire away guys

just last night, i was salaving a tach from a guage set i bought on ebay, the tach works good, i was gong to ebay the speedo, it looks great, has the mounting ring, rubber bumbers and the trip reset arm, if you want it i would let you have it for 35USD plus shipping. i assume it works, the rest of the guage cluster does. if you want, once i get mine put back together i could test it out. let me know

Comment

What is your unit from?

Got any / provide any pictures? smargerum@aol.com
      (if you could email them to me please)

If you could test to make sure the odometer part (the gears behind speedometer turn...I can use existing mileage parts from my current if needed)

Thanks for the offer look forward to hearing back from you :-D

Comment

If you don't want it I'm looking for a 140 mph speedo.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

well if the parts inside it are simular to the one on my 1980 I will pick it up just waiting to hear back [-o<

Comment

it's from a '78 GS750
            i will take some pics tonight, but it will be a sunday/monday before i can post them i will be out of town for a couple of days. i'll call my wife and see if i can get some sooner.

Comment

that would be useful thank you. Once I see the pics I should be able to figure out if I can use the parts from it... is it a 85MPH scale like this ?

Comment

i think it's 140 but, i'm not sure, i didn't really look at it, as i was focused on the tach and taking it apart. but, i called my wife she will try to get som epics emailed to me in a while, as soon as i get them i will post them.

Comment

OK here they are
                  it is a 140 mph speedo

Comment

yeah doesn't look like I can use that the odo on mine is at the bottom half of the speedometer nutz

anyone else have any 85MPH scale speedometers around? .... can I use something from say a GS1100 if it has the same scale?

Comment

well, sorry it won't work for you. . . if any one else wants it let me know.
                      markn@mwchev.com

Comment

I've got one

Haven't tested it but got it in a parts purcahse.. looks clean and has about 23k on the od.. doesn't have the reset knob so don't know if that works..

I am in Dallas, TX area and may be able to ship.. but can work out the details if so desired.. it is an 85 mph speedo unit from a late 79 or after 80 550 E but looks the same as the 650 and most likely the 750 also..

Comment

How much do you want for it Mark? Does anyone know if it will drop into an 80 1100L?
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                          X