82 gs650l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs650l

i have a fuel problem on my 82 gs650l. i am leaking fuel out vent hoses that are conected to the carbs. what do i need to do? also getting chain noise from engine, need to know how to adj. tensioner. this is my first bike would like to keep it and fix it up right. thanks to those who respond.\\/

Originally posted by joshhoch
    i have a fuel problem on my 82 gs650l. i am leaking fuel out vent hoses that are conected to the carbs. what do i need to do? also getting chain noise from engine, need to know how to adj. tensioner. this is my first bike would like to keep it and fix it up right. thanks to those who respond.\\/
    First of all check your petcock and make sure you dont have it on prime,then check your oil cause you probably have gas in the crankcase.Take the tank off and make sure the petcock is not leaking on res. or on.The cam chain tensioner is self adjusting and you will get noise from these engines.It is probably cam end play you are hearing.Does it run good?How long has it sat without running?You might have to go thru the carbs.

Comment

I BOUGHT THE BIKE FEW WEEKS AGO, AND THE FELLOW I BOUGHT IT FROM SAID HE DROVE IT ALL THE TIME. HE HAD IT FOR ONE YEAR, AND DOESN'T KNOW THE HISTORY ON IT. I PLUGGED THE CARB VENT TUBES OFF AND STARTED LEAKING FROM VENT TUBE OUT OF TANK. LEAKS BAD, ONE GALLON IN FIVE MILES. I HAVE NOT SEEN GAS IN OIL. I AM BUYING A REPAIR MANUAL ON IT BUT NOT RECEIVED YET. DUMB ? HOW MANY QRTS DOES IT HOLD. RUNS GREAT AND PLENTY OF POWER. I WEIGH ROUGHLY 300 POUNDS AND WIFE 130. WE RODE FOR ABOUT 80 MILES AND IT HAD NO PROBLEM OULLING OR MAINTAINNIG SPEED. I PRECIATED YOU REPLYING TO MY THREAD. IF YOU DIDDN'T MIND ME HAVING YOUR NUMBER SO I COULD ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS BIKE I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. IF NOT I UNDERSTAND. THANKS AGAIN JOSH MY WEB SITE IS joshhoch@yahoo.com

Comment

The problem is not the petcock, although that may be bad as well, the problem is that you have a stuck carb float(s). The float is not floating thus fuel is flowing into the carbs and then out the overflow. If you plug the over flow, the extra gas will flood the engine and wind up in the crankcase - not good.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Do not block off the vent tubes. They should be open and free of kinks and debris. I have to agree with the float needles and seats either needs cleaned or replaced.
          QUIT YELLING:-)
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by joshhoch
            I BOUGHT THE BIKE FEW WEEKS AGO, AND THE FELLOW I BOUGHT IT FROM SAID HE DROVE IT ALL THE TIME. HE HAD IT FOR ONE YEAR, AND DOESN'T KNOW THE HISTORY ON IT. I PLUGGED THE CARB VENT TUBES OFF AND STARTED LEAKING FROM VENT TUBE OUT OF TANK. LEAKS BAD, ONE GALLON IN FIVE MILES. I HAVE NOT SEEN GAS IN OIL. I AM BUYING A REPAIR MANUAL ON IT BUT NOT RECEIVED YET. DUMB ? HOW MANY QRTS DOES IT HOLD. RUNS GREAT AND PLENTY OF POWER. I WEIGH ROUGHLY 300 POUNDS AND WIFE 130. WE RODE FOR ABOUT 80 MILES AND IT HAD NO PROBLEM OULLING OR MAINTAINNIG SPEED. I PRECIATED YOU REPLYING TO MY THREAD. IF YOU DIDDN'T MIND ME HAVING YOUR NUMBER SO I COULD ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS BIKE I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. IF NOT I UNDERSTAND. THANKS AGAIN JOSH MY WEB SITE IS joshhoch@yahoo.com
            take the float bowls off and see if the floats are sticking. You dont have to pull the carbs off for this. Drain them first and see if gas keeps coming out of of themIt should stop if the floats are right.Where are you located?

Comment

i am located in savannah tn. about 100miles east of memphis. thanks again for your response.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2006, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Although the cam chain tensioner IS self-adjusting, it has to be set right so it can do its job. I don't remember which of my bikes (650 or 850) had the first step done, but not the rest.

From my Clymer manual:

Remove the cam chain tensioner.

Loosen the locknut and lockscrew on the cam chain tensioner assembly. Push in on the spring-loaded plunger while rotating the large knurled nut counterclockwise. When the plunger is pushed in as far as possible, secure it with the lockscrew.

Make sure the gasket is in place and install the chain tensioner assembly.
                Back out the lockscrew approximately 1/4 turn to release the spring-loaded plunger. Secure the lockscrew with the locknut.

NOTE: Do not back out the lockscrew more than 1/2 turn or the plunger may become disengaged from the tensioner body. If this should occur, it will be necessary to remove the tensioner assembly to install the plunger into the tensioner body.

My bike had the tensioner locked into place. I released the lockscrew the 1/4 turn and locked it back in place. The difference in noise level is like having a new engine.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

steve thankyou for this info i wil print it out and try. thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X