busted anti dive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

busted anti dive

i just got some 83' 1100 e forks, and one of the anti dive units got snaped off in shiipping. can i justremove the units completly, then fab up some plates, use a little rtv and cap the antidive opening's off?

will this effect rebound or compresstion? i just am concerned it will block circulation of the fork oil.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Ryan, I know I have heard it before here, but there is a mod that has been done of the 82-83 anti-dives to disable/bypass them.
    I think maybe Jethro has done it.
    Somebody has got to remember this.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

the mod to disable it is to remove the brake line going to them then just cap the brake line hole with a solid bolt. but mine is bust so i can't just cap the brake line hole. Hopefully some one will know or have a extra one.

-ryan
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x

Comment

You can fab up plates that cover the flats where the anti-dives bolt in. Make a gasket out of some fuel line and a plate with holes in it. It won't affect the shocks at all, as long as you are already used to not having anti-dive.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

gotta pic, and can you elaborate a little more on this fuel line gasket thing? do i shove some in the hole and when the plate presses on it, it seals up or slip the fuel line and use it like a gasket? and what kind of fuel line you talking about normal auto zone fuel/ emission 3/8 stuff or the blue vinal stuff?

thanks,
          -ryan
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x

Comment

I don't think I have a pic anymore, but it's basically a flat gasket, just so fork oil doesn't leak out. At the hardware store you should be able to buy real big fuel hose, any stuff will work. The black, braided kind, you can usually get in 3/4" or 1" hose. It's usually braided with a weave or something. Cut a piece a few inches long, then slice it lengthwise. Flatten it out with your hands, and the inside section should be able to seperate from the weave and the outside section. Use this inside piece to make a big, flat gasket. The plate can be any piece of sheet metal, but needs to be rigid enough to not deform when you cinch down on the gasket.

I use fuel line to make gaskets all the time. I have a few for my Pingle petcock in backstock. To make the stuff easier to work with, and flat, take that inner casing (which is fuel resistant for sure!) and heat it up with a heat gun, real warm. Then put it between two pieces of flat metal, or wood, and clamp in the vice and wait fot it to cool completely. It will then be flat, and easier to cut with a razer knife blade.
            Currently bikeless
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              I don't think I have a pic anymore, but it's basically a flat gasket, just so fork oil doesn't leak out. At the hardware store you should be able to buy real big fuel hose, any stuff will work. The black, braided kind, you can usually get in 3/4" or 1" hose. It's usually braided with a weave or something. Cut a piece a few inches long, then slice it lengthwise. Flatten it out with your hands, and the inside section should be able to seperate from the weave and the outside section. Use this inside piece to make a big, flat gasket. The plate can be any piece of sheet metal, but needs to be rigid enough to not deform when you cinch down on the gasket.

I use fuel line to make gaskets all the time. I have a few for my Pingle petcock in backstock. To make the stuff easier to work with, and flat, take that inner casing (which is fuel resistant for sure!) and heat it up with a heat gun, real warm. Then put it between two pieces of flat metal, or wood, and clamp in the vice and wait fot it to cool completely. It will then be flat, and easier to cut with a razer knife blade.
              Why not just buy some gasket material?

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                i just got some 83' 1100 e forks, and one of the anti dive units got snaped off in shiipping. can i justremove the units completly, then fab up some plates, use a little rtv and cap the antidive opening's off?

will this effect rebound or compresstion? i just am concerned it will block circulation of the fork oil.

-ryan
                Ryan,

I'm not sure but I think I've heard that if you remove the anti-dive units completely there is another modification needed. Something to do with plugging up an oil passage. Sorry I don't have more info, hopefully someone else can verify this.

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

anti-dive

Ryan,I had a pair of gsxr forks with blocked off anti-dive.3/16" thick aluminum with hand cut gasket material,worked fine.I will look around for another anti-dive unit. Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                    Why not just buy some gasket material?

Joe
                    I've never found any gasket sheet stock that anyone can promise is acceptable in fuel systems.
                    Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                      Ryan,

I'm not sure but I think I've heard that if you remove the anti-dive units completely there is another modification needed. Something to do with plugging up an oil passage. Sorry I don't have more info, hopefully someone else can verify this.

Joe
                      I've doen the mod before. All I did was plate it off and it seemed fine.
                      Currently bikeless

Comment

I've doen the mod before. All I did was plate it off and it seemed fine.
                        The problem comes in if you hit a really big bump or chuckhole...I blew a seal inside-out. On analysis, I discovered the anti-dive valve is also the over-pressure relief for the upper part of the shock, without the passage to the lower (through the anti-dive) the overpressure will blow the top seal. I disassembled the fork legs and drilled 2, 1/4" holes in the fluid cup 'oil lock piece' to provide a return passage.

Comment

I've never found any gasket sheet stock that anyone can promise is acceptable in fuel systems.
                          http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/....aspx#features

Resists water, gas and oil leaks. Use for carburetors, water pumps, transmissions, fuel pumps, etc.

Thanks,
                          Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Working...
                          X