Newbie: GS500e main fuses blown and blinkers work above 3k rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie: GS500e main fuses blown and blinkers work above 3k rpm

I just bought my first bike a couple days ago. I know nothing about bikes, but I have the service manual and another manual for the bike. Here's my problem(s):

- I can't start the bike without jumping it
    - The bike dies after idling for a few seconds
    - The blinkers only work above 3000 rpm
    - I found out yesterday that the main fuse was blown so I replaced with the spare (although stupidly with the 10A replacement instead of a 15A that it needed to be)
    - Bike started fine, i shut it off and went to sleep.
    - Today I tried to start again, but had to jump to get it running. I rode around for about an hour, just not letting it idle for long.
    - When I got back I noticed the main fuse was blown again (that's when I realized I replaced the main fuse with an incorrect replacement).

** Also, I shouldn't leave out another stupid move on my part... the horns (aftermarket) were disassembled when I bought the bike. I screwed them on and connected the wires, but they sparked when connecting (i had the key in and power of the bike turned on... i know, stupid). I've since left the horn wires unplugged until I sort the other issues out.

After reading this forum for the last hour or two I'm pretty sure I have a good idea where to start. I think I need to check for faulty wiring, i.e. wires that are exposed and touching metal (?) and not properly connected. Could this be the solution to the main fuse blowing and the blinkers not working? I saw other suggestions (beyond wiring) for similar problems, but they all seemed a bit more complicated.

When I got the bike the owner said it had been running fine (and I believe him), however it did run out of gas on the way to my house (3 days ago) - i don't know if that could cause some problem. He also told me about the blinkers before I bought it. Also, I bought a battery charger and I'm currently giving my battery a complete charge just in case that's a problem.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what my problem might be? The bike seems to run fine (although since i have no experience to base that on it doesn't mean much). I can get around fine after jumping as long as it doesn't idle for long. I'm going to take off the fuel tank and check the wiring as best as i can now, i'll post my findings when i get back.

I'd also like to thank everyone here for such a valuable resource, especially for a total beginner like myself. Thank you!

The blinkers may be as simple as installing a new blinker module. Mine was acting like that when I first got my bike. I robbed one from a Kawasaki and now it works fine.

The only thing that worries me is the high RPM thing...it may not be getting enough juice to kick off the blinker. Try using sandcloth on all connections. Tailight, brake light, rear turn signals, front turn signals, etc...that might help.

If not then try the new module idea. They are quite cheap and are pretty much universal.

Comment

follow up...

okay... well i didn't take the fuel tank off because I'm unclear of how to do it. I unscrewed the nut under the seat fine, but it's the cables under the fuel tank I'm worried about. The ones connected to the petcock fuel valve (? - the switch for the reserve fuel). I'm afraid that fuel will rush out if I unplug that... do I need to empty my fuel tank first?

also, i found a few possible bad connections and electrical taped them. but i noticed something that didn't seem right, and I'm not sure it has to do with my other problems. under the fuel tank (i lifted it up slightly), i noticed a cable that looked like it had been sliced (hard to explain and i don't have a camera, but right were the cable met up with it's metal holder, it was cut in half... it's not cut completely, but it looks like it's just barely hanging in there. i found out that pulling the acceleration moved that cable so i assume it's directly related to the acceleration (which seems fine when riding).

i think my problems might be too advanced for a novice (do you?), i was wondering if anyone can recommend a mechanic around Burbank, CA somewhere. thanks!!

Comment

thanks... questions...

Originally posted by OklahomaPomade
        The only thing that worries me is the high RPM thing...it may not be getting enough juice to kick off the blinker. Try using sandcloth on all connections. Tailight, brake light, rear turn signals, front turn signals, etc...that might help.
        okay... so rub sandcloth (same as sandpaper?) where the wires connect to the signals? ... unscrew/take off the signals, undo the wiring, rub them to make a good connection, and reassemble?
        thanks!!
        p.s. sorry if this question seems obvious, just don't want to mess anything else up.

Comment

Yeah...just like that. You might also remove the bulbs and sand them up too.

As far as the tank goes, so long as the petcock is working as it should, no gas will rush out. Have a cup handy just in case.

The accelerator cable...is it the sheath only that is sliced or are there strands broken/cut? If so, buy a new one and replace it. Don't try to repair it...it won't work.

Comment

thanks okpride,
            i sanded all contacts i could find - mainly grounds - and bulbs. all the bulbs are in fine shape. cleaning the contacts actually improved the right turn signal quite a bit (starts blinking around 2k rpm). but it might of actually worsened the left one, it never blinks now. i'm going to try a voltmeter to make sure i have enough juice. i'll reply if that was a problem, if not, any other ideas?

btw... if the bulbs look fine, are you saying i should still try replacing them?

Comment

Working...
            X