transmission spitting oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission spitting oil

Help, I have a 1978 gs 550. The other day my chain fell off and now it squirts out oil from the front sprocket area. I can start the motor and run the engine and it's fine but as soon as I put it in gear and the chain starts turning the oil starts to pour out.

Any idea's what do do besides a new chain?

Did the chain "bunch up" around your small sprocket? That happened on a 1975 Honda 750 I had once and it actually cracked the casing. Don't just replace the chain, figure out where it leaking and get it fixed. Its a bad spot for a leak because the oil will end up on your rear tire.

Comment

hey, the chain didn't bunch up. it just fell off and it's still intact (and really stretched) , but not too worry I won't be driving it until I fix it especially since it's pouring out about a quart a minute.

Comment

You either have a cracked case or a trashed seal. Hope it's just the seal. Either one will have to be fixed. Get in there, clean it up, and find out what's going on. You could have bent the shaft, which would wreck the seal. Or, worst case, all three.

Comment

Working...
        X