what the hell is the modulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what the hell is the modulator?

So there are these weird things on the ends of my forks. I had no idea what they are, now I would like to know what they do.
    Also, what models and years have them? I'm getting the feeling that my replacement fork springs aren't going to work...

They're a valved anti-dive mechanism. Some people bypass them, say they don't help much. Mine are active on my '82 GS1100E.

Don't think they're going to get in the way of your springs.

See the diagram at this link: http://tinyurl.com/fnuhz
    Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2006, 07:51 PM.

Comment

cb radios have them. some of the old dudes on gold wings still talk to truck drivers on them. i have never heard of suzuki riders much using cbs.

Comment

Originally posted by retchidxs View Post
        cb radios have them. some of the old dudes on gold wings still talk to truck drivers on them. i have never heard of suzuki riders much using cbs.
        There's always one, isn't there? Actually all broadcasts are modulated: cb, fm & am, cable, tv, satellite...(darn engineers!)
        But your bike does not broadcast.
        What it tried to do is prevent the front end from diving when braking. It don't work, at least on my bike, which is the same as yours. My GPz has it removed. If you go to "tasty" (bwringer quote) stainless steel brake lines, I would bypass it.
        But it has nothing to do with your replacement fork springs. Install and enjoy.

Comment

Yes... I was wondering what the CB had to do with it!
          Thanks for the info on the fork modulators. I couldn't find them in my books, and I only found them on one model in the fische. An '82 750E... and that has a different fork spring part number from Progressive. I was thinking that possibly the fork tubes were from that 750 model, and I would end up with parts I can't use.

Comment

Working...
          X