Petcok on an '80 GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcok on an '80 GS850GL

I just installed the petcock on my tank, hooked up all the lines and tried to fire it. I put the petcock on what I thought was prime. I noticed that the screw on the petcock will allow me to turn it several times clockwise and counterclockwise. How will I know when the thing is on prime or on? Do I have to screw it in all the way for prime?

Thanks..

"the petcock"...is it a stock replacement or aftermarket?

If it is a stock replacement, pointing the tab toward the rear of the bike is PRIME. Straight down is NORMAL and forward is RESERVE.

If it is an aftermarket petcock, I would say "read the directions", but since you are asking the question, it is apparent that there were none.

Easiest way to find out is to attach a hose to the petcock and place the other end in a fuel-proof container. Turn the knob and watch for fuel flow. Is there a vacuum connection to the petcock? It might even be possible that this (aftermarket) petcock is simply ON/OFF, with no PRIME or RESERVE settings. :roll:

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You have the 80 petcock which does not have a handle but a slot. Prime is at 12 and 6 oclock and run is 3 and 9 oclock. On these petcocks you need to have vacuum even on prime activate the gas flow. Put the petcock on prime and suck on the vacuum line going into the petcock to fill your float bowls for a few minutes and then try to turrn the bike over. If you get gas in your mouth replace the petcock. You can turn these around and around and it won't make any difference, just the position does.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        "the petcock"...is it a stock replacement or aftermarket?

If it is a stock replacement, pointing the tab toward the rear of the bike is PRIME. Straight down is NORMAL and forward is RESERVE.

If it is an aftermarket petcock, I would say "read the directions", but since you are asking the question, it is apparent that there were none.

Easiest way to find out is to attach a hose to the petcock and place the other end in a fuel-proof container. Turn the knob and watch for fuel flow. Is there a vacuum connection to the petcock? It might even be possible that this (aftermarket) petcock is simply ON/OFF, with no PRIME or RESERVE settings. :roll:

Thanks, but it I have an automatic petcock. I have no reserve!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          You have the 80 petcock which does not have a handle but a slot. Prime is at 12 and 6 oclock and run is 3 and 9 oclock. On these petcocks you need to have vacuum even on prime activate the gas flow. Put the petcock on prime and suck on the vacuum line going into the petcock to fill your float bowls for a few minutes and then try to turrn the bike over. If you get gas in your mouth replace the petcock. You can turn these around and around and it won't make any difference, just the position does.

Thanks. The bowls are filling, so that tells me the petcock is working ok. This is the first bike I have owned that has an automatic petcock. All my others had "regular" petcocks.

I have a feeling, what I need to do, is remove the carbs, look at the floats. The bike had been sitting for about 2 years. It was a gift from a friend. There may have been something I missed when I took the carbs off previously to clean them.

Thanks!:-D

Comment

Working...
          X