Checking plug caps and coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking plug caps and coils

Okay, I'm moving onto electrical in trying to figure out what's wrong with this bike. Any chance I can get a short tutorial on how to pull the plug caps off the wires so that I don't damage anything? I just don't want to be twisting when I should be pulling, or pulling in the wrong place or anything.

And shouldn't I be testing voltage too? Where should I stick the ends of the multimeter? 1 & 4, 2 & 3 for the caps, right? But what should the multimeter be set at?

Thanks,
    ~Mike

They just twist off righty tighty-lefty loosey.
    AAAAARRRRRRR
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

And shouldn't I be testing voltage too? Where should I stick the ends of the multimeter? 1 & 4, 2 & 3 for the caps, right? But what should the multimeter be set at?

Thanks,
      ~Mike[/QUOTE]

The caps are tested for resistance (ohms). They may be marked as to how many ohms they should be rated for. I am only familiar with 5 or 10 K ohms. All you need to do for that is set your meter to ohms & put the probes in either side of the cap. I'm not sure if you can test for volts while the caps are connected to the wires or not.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        They just twist off righty tighty-lefty loosey.
        AAAAARRRRRRR
        Ah, but where exactly? I don't want to be twisting the wrong part.

Comment

There is a rubber boot to keep water out of the wire. Roll that back & unscrew the wire from the plug.

Comment

When I pulled off one of the caps, and set my multimeter to ohms 20K, it read at ~10.5L for a while, and now I can't get a reading on the cap. I'll stick the ends in and it will flash numbers only very briefly, and then not read anything.

Soooo frustrating.

Comment

Perhaps the multimeter just needs new batteries. Who knows.

I got the readings though.

#1 - 10.53L
              #2 - 11L
              #3 - 11.3L
              #4 - 10.99L

This was with the multimeter set to ohms at 20K. Is this good?

Also, should I cut the plug wire back a bit to expose new copper? I can't even see any in some of the wires. Any special procedure?

Thanks for struggling along with me.

~Mike

Comment

The caps screw onto the leads so you don't want to just wiggle and pull off. And yes, cut back the lead a smig so you get good clean contact.

Not sure what to say about the resistance but since all caps seem the same, either all are good (likely) or all are bad.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  The caps screw onto the leads so you don't want to just wiggle and pull off. And yes, cut back the lead a smig so you get good clean contact.

Not sure what to say about the resistance but since all caps seem the same, either all are good (likely) or all are bad.
                  Thanks. So that difference between 10.53 and 11.3 isn't something to worry about?

And is there any special procedure to cutting back the lead? Just use scissors?

Thanks again,
                  ~Mike

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                    Thanks. So that difference between 10.53 and 11.3 isn't something to worry about?

And is there any special procedure to cutting back the lead? Just use scissors?

Thanks again,
                    ~Mike
                    I wouldn't use scissors, or tin snips you probably won't get a clean cut and you need a nice flat surface with the wires snipped cleanly to rescrew in your plug cap. Use a good wire cutter.

Comment

I agree with the other gents. You only want to take off a SMALL amount, that way you do not shorten the wire too much. I would look at the end of the plug wire after you cut it to ensure that there is no corrosion. That can weaken the spark alot. If you see more after you cut it, you may want to consider cutting a bit more. But again, becareful how much you cut or you may end up buying a new set of coils unless your wires are able to come off of them. But unless they are aftermarket, they probably do not.

Comment

Sweet, thanks.

Just checking, but are my plug resistance readings okay? I'm a moron when it comes to electronics.

Comment

They seem to be fine to me. My only experience with them being bad is the resistance drops, so as long as they are where they are they should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by louisciccoli View Post
                            They seem to be fine to me. My only experience with them being bad is the resistance drops, so as long as they are where they are they should be fine.
                            Meaning the resistance would drop while checking them?

Thanks again,
                            ~Mike

Comment

No meaning that they would be lower than they are supposed to be overall. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was just got back from AZ this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                              X