'78 GS750 Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS750 Restoration

I'm beginning the restoration project with my son and I see that one of my first questions is to id exactly what model I have. At this time I do not have a title so all that I know is that the bike is a '78 GS 750. It has a single disk in the front and spoke wheels. My initial look at the parts fische indicate that there were several model letters for this year 750. I'm pretty certain that it is not an E. Is there a sure-fire way of telling which model of 750 sits in my garage.

Thanks,
    rickt

I have the same bike. If yours is like me, it is a GS750. Period. Well, at least according to the stamp (this is probobly what people will tell you to do. It sits on the steering column and gives the bike specs). It should use all the same parts as the other "E" models, except the wire wheel and one disk part of course.

If you are lookin at the fiche, I believe they list it as a "C".

I am going to make a pitch for stainless steel brake lines from paragon performance now. Very good parts. Fit perfectly. Their 78 brake line packages are for a regular "E", but if you ask for the set that "Jonathan Foote from Canada" ordered for his bike a month ago, they will fit your bike perfectly.

Excellent job for a father/son project. I someday hope to be that kind of dad!

Good luck with the bike!

Comment

Excellent question and follow up. I too have the mysterious unidentified GS750 with a single brake and it's been driving me crazy trying to figure out what model. I've not had any bad luck ordering parts with the exception of the one rear brake caliper bleeder breather. That one didn't fit when I rebuilt the brakes.

How bout some more info. on the brake lines from paragon Jim? How much?

Comment

if you have spoke wheels, single front disc and it only says gs750 on side cover. its a base model gs750. just a gs750

if it has mag wheels, dual front disc and clearly says gs750e on sidecover, than it is a gs750e

if it looks more cruiserish, with stepup seat, smaller tank and a chrome rear fender. than it is a gs750L

this is only for 77-79 gs750's

Comment

Originally posted by Pearson View Post
          Excellent question and follow up. I too have the mysterious unidentified GS750 with a single brake and it's been driving me crazy trying to figure out what model. I've not had any bad luck ordering parts with the exception of the one rear brake caliper bleeder breather. That one didn't fit when I rebuilt the brakes.

How bout some more info. on the brake lines from paragon Jim? How much?

I'll anwer for Jim:-D . Seems to me they were about $120. Shipping was very cheap as well.

And I would like to take this time to rub in the fact that my dollar is just about worth as your now! \\/

Comment

Working...
          X