Can you identify this exhaust???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you identify this exhaust???

I took my 86 750 katana out for a ride the other day, and I lost the exhaust canister. Well I didn't.....the lady I went riding with did. She is a good rider and wanted to experience the ol' skool feel, so I couldn't possibly say no to that.

Anyway, it came off with her. I still can't figure out how she didn't realize it was gone. I realized it as soon as I started the bike up after we switched back.

As you can see in this photo, it is loose. It should be angled up more, and not so straight out. I should have noticed it, but I didn't.
    So without the can, I can't tell what company this is. Even with it I couldn't. It doesn't say anything. It is a shorter can. I have a spare Yosh, but it will take some machining for an adapter to fit it on, but it is doable enough.
    Although I just prefer to buy a new can for this one.

So if anyone can tell what this exhaust is just by looking at it, it would save me who knows how many hours of searching on the net.
    I realize I am asking alot because it is really hard to tell. And with so many brands out there....
    It is going to take someone who can say to themselves, "Hey....that's just like mine".

MoJoe, I can't say for sure, but it looks an awful like like the Vance & Hines header on my '82 GS1100EZ. The header flanges, profile of the header pipes, collector shape and the size and position of the faded sticker / decal on the can itself are what make it look familiar to me.

Although this photo isn't the greatest, see: http://www.rdmtech.com/files/GS1100E...E_RedRight.tif to see the similarities.

Make sure to maximize your viewer to get the best view.

Hope this helps.

Comment

That's a schmick pop-up Katana, by the way.

Comment

Staschman, that looks pretty darn similar for sure. That might be it.
        I was thinking it might be a V&H, but couldn't find any like it.
        can I ask you a favor? If you have a vernier (or caliper if you call it that), can you possibly tell me the od of the can?

tfb.....I will assume "schmick" is a good thing, so thanls for the compliment.
        eat my shorts if it is an insult...lol. j/k.
        I never heard "schmich" before....si I don't have a clue.

If you like it, I have another just like it.....

Comment

Relax, "schmick" is no insult! From the TFB Concise Dictionary:
          schmick, adj. ~ neat, tidy. Of motorcycles: luscious, immaculate, tasty, desirable.
          Hope that clarifies things! Good to see it's part of a larger stable, too.

Comment

ya....I kinda assumed it was a compliment.
            I was just kidding about the "eat my shorts" thing.
            That is my twisted sense of humor talking.

Comment

I just bought a Vance and Hines used pipe for my GS550ES and am restoring it. It sure looks like your header exaust and cannister. Did your discharge baffle have one big hole with several small hole look-alikes around the center hole? Also the area of different color on your canister looks like the size of the Vance and Hines metal nameplate. Mine measures about 51/2 inches long and two inches high with two pop rivet hole about 3/16 in. in from the outside edge of the logo plate. Hope this helps.

Tom

Comment

Hmm, you realise that this perhaps presents you with an opportunity to run a customised exhaust? I'm half serious... I mean, what you're basically left with is a short stubby megaphone-looking thing, that kind of looks good (to me at least; 'taste' is one of those debatable things). So if you could fabricate some sort of baffles to put in there -- don't want you getting pulled over every ride by the cops -- it could actually work out OK.

Just a thought.

Comment

Mojoe, I don't have vernier calipers, but I used a C-clamp to fit the exhaust pipe and can like a large micrometer, then measured the gap. Sort of the same thing, but perhaps not accurate to a fraction of a millimeter.

The can OD measured 3.5"

The pipe OD from the can was 2 1/8"

The flare from where the pipe goes over the collector OD was 2 1/4"
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-26-2006, 10:53 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

staschman...those are the measurements I needed...thanks alot. I appreciate the time you took to be creative enuff to get the measurements.

tfb.....yes, I have been seriously considering modding the exhaust.
                    The option I am exploring mostly at this moment is finding an aftermarket can that appeals to me, then making it fit. Another option I have been thinking of is having my brother machine one out for me at work. It wouldn't take long to machine a tube out of aluminum. Then I can take the baffle out of my old dinged up Yosh can and cut it to length and experiment with packing to get the sound I want.
                    But the easiest and most desirebale option is just replacing the can the goes with that pipe.

Thomas ....yup, exactly like mine. So where do you park you bike at night exactly? Do you have a dog? lol
                    Well I will try contacing V&H and see if they have a can. Does yours have any kind of model number stamped on it anywhere? That would be the ticket to replacing it.

Comment

The Vance and Hines metal megaphone tag is barely readable. All I can make out is Vance and Hines Performance Exhaust System, no other markings on the header, collector and exhaust pipe or can. Tom

PS. I park inside my Garage, double locked and I have a staving black bear that hangs around looking for food on the move :-)

Comment

Mojoe, I just got off of the phone with Oscar at Vance and Hines ordering a new nameplate for my pipe. He said that he thinks he can help you with the part you need. Contact Vance and Hines at (562) 921-7461
                        ask for customer service, then ask for Oscar, and plead your case :-)

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Kenny View Post
                          Mojoe, I just got off of the phone with Oscar at Vance and Hines ordering a new nameplate for my pipe. He said that he thinks he can help you with the part you need. Contact Vance and Hines at (562) 921-7461
                          ask for customer service, then ask for Oscar, and plead your case :-)

Tom
                          great Tom....thanks a million. I tried browsing thier site, but no exhust systems like mine on there. I will give him a call tomorrow.

Comment

It looks just like a "wolf" exhaust I had on an old GS750TZ. The same thing happened to mine, too and the decal looks exactly the same, although mine was slightly less faded so I could read it.

I've never been able to find out anything about it. I know there's a Wolf exhaust company in the UK, but I don't think it's the same company.

A partsman in my area said they used to make OK stuff but they went out of business years ago. I didn't think the construction was all that great but the flanges were well enough made at least.

Comment

Well, I called V&H.....and it is not their exhaust. So maybe it is a "wolf" or something. Doesn't look like I will be finding one of these cans anytime soon....so I guess I will have to fabricate something. Oh well....might be for the better anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X