Inline Fuel filter? good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inline Fuel filter? good idea?

I just had a carb flood out like crazy, seems a chunk of something was plugging the inlet for the float. My car mechanic suggested cutting off the fuel and running the bowls dry, then it gets flushed out when you restart. Worked like a charm! Allowed me to be sure the petcock was working by removing the vacuum.

I have a 78 gs550, and I was wondering if anyone uses a particular inline fuel filter, and if so, where do you mount it? Are inline filters a bad idea? I don't have too much faith in the little screen in the petcock anymore...

Well, I always used a filter on my CB and my KZ and with regular maintanence and replacements, I never had a problem with my fuel system....other than not making it to a gas station in time a time or two. Honestly, I've only owned my GS for a short period, and have not even noticed whether I've got one or not...if not, I'll put one in over the winter though. I tend to think that they really prevent build up in the carbs.

Comment

Additional fuel filters are a bad idea. In stock form, the bike already has five.
      Inline fuel filters will however, provide all the running problems and extra frustration you'll ever need. LOL

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

where are all the filters? I'm only aware of the one at the petcock...

Comment

I use a NAPA 3006 inline filter on my bike. It's a large filter made for V-8 automotive applications it has 5/16 fittings which fit our fuel lines. One fitting is horizontal and the other is vertical (fitting-filter-fitting make an "L" shape) The element is nylon mesh. This is the preferred filter of the guys on the Concours forum. It's also cheap, under $4.00.

Comment

Originally posted by brand new bike zealot View Post
            where are all the filters? I'm only aware of the one at the petcock...
            Each carb has a screen at the float valve.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
              Each carb has a screen at the float valve.
              Yes, and there is one on top of the petcock, at least there was when it was built.

That is the one that usually gives you problems, often because at some time in its long life, it has either fallen off or been knocked off by a previous owner.

If you have found a chunk of something in the inlet line to your carbs, it seems highly likely that this filter screen is missing.

You can remove and drain the tank, then shake it to see what is heard, but that is not always a certain thing, as the screen is soft, and it can lodge and jam near the back of the tank.

Install an in-line filter.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

When I bought my bike it had an inline filter and it bogged down when accelerating at highway speeds. After removing the filter it ran awesome. Ted. Get rid of it quick!

Comment

Bad idea. More trouble than they're worth. Unless you do get one that allows the flow of a 5/16 line.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

NO inline filter, find out if your carbs have the screens above the floats, and if not replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                      I use a NAPA 3006 inline filter on my bike. It's a large filter made for V-8 automotive applications it has 5/16 fittings which fit our fuel lines. One fitting is horizontal and the other is vertical (fitting-filter-fitting make an "L" shape) The element is nylon mesh. This is the preferred filter of the guys on the Concours forum. It's also cheap, under $4.00.
                      i use the same thing and it runs great, my bike didn't have the filter over the petcock when i got it and i had lots of carb issues, until i put in the inline filter and kreme in the tank. now no problems. put one in, just make sure it is big enough to flow the fuel your motor needs.

Comment

petrol filter

have a look in "79 gs1000e airbox measurements" and see my setup in there.Wont let me upload it twice

Comment

Inline filters are an invention of the devil.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                            have a look in "79 gs1000e airbox measurements" and see my setup in there.Wont let me upload it twice
                            copied from here

Originally posted by sharpy
                            Hi if u want some air try this mod and see if it suits you. It a K&N filter clamped onto the rear of the front part of the airbox. You need to zip tie the battery in place to stop it moving around Pic inclosed thanks

piccy
                            lol Sharpy is there anything you dont know about these bikes ffs

Comment

hi

I can think of a lot that i dont know but i know when there is crap on a bike u dont need

Comment

Working...
                              X