Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000S fuel tap

G'day all,

Well a long-term goal has been fulfilled: I finally got a red/white GS1000S into the garage! \\/ It's in fairly original condition, but it is far from 'mint' and there are quite a few things that need fixing before cosmetic renovation begins.

One of these things is the fuel tap: I am certain that it's the original item, but it's missing the lever, and the only way to turn it from one setting to the other, is to insert a small screwdriver into the hole... not ideal.

My questions are:
    1. What are the positions/ settings for this tap? (It's different to the fuel tap on my 1981 Kat1100, and different again to the '79 GS1000S I used to have.)

I don't think there is a reserve ('Res' position), as I had it off the tank tonight and there is a 'single pipe' nylon gauze filter in the tank, and not the 'double' item you get for a tap with reserve. So are the positions for the tap 'On', 'Off', and 'Pri'? Or just 'On' and 'Pri'? Or something else?

2. Which direction should the tap lever point for whichever tap settings the tap happens to have?

3. The vacuum tupe from the diaphragm at the bottom of the tap, runs off to number 3 carburettor. Is this correct? The reason I ask is because #2 and #4 carbies have tubes also, but they vent into the open air. #1 carbie has no such tube attached at all.

Hope this makes sense. If anyone is familiar with these fuel taps on these bikes, that would be a big help.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Man, welcome to the club. We need to get our own colors and meeting pub.

The 1980 slotted petcock: No handle, it's not missing, it never had one to begin with!

Slot horizontal is the 'on' or 'run' position.

Slot vertical is the 'pri' or prime position.

That's it. No reserve.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, Jim.

What the... no tap lever?!! That makes sense now, because I just saw a brand new item on eBay with the same pesky little slot, and that got me wondering if theirs was broken too :shock:

Which carbie does your vacuum line hook up to? Mine's going to #3... is that correct?

Now I gotta figure out why that fuel gauge isn't working...

Comment

On my 550 the vacuum line hooks up at carb two. (The second carb from the left while sitting on the bike.)

Comment

Working...
        X