Bike wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike wont start

Ok yesterday I started my bike and let it idle for a few minuets. I then did a dumb thing and left the keys in it and in the on position. So I had a dead battery. I pulled the battery and charged it.

Today I put it back in. reconnected everything and tried to start the bike. No Go. The battery is just fine. The starter is spinning the engine with gusto. I can smell gas in the air box. But I don’t think I have spark. I pulled one plug wire and lay it on its side, and tried to start the engine. I did not see any spark. I also put an Allen wrench in the wire to cut the distance for the spark to jump. I did this on both 1 and 4 cylinder. I have never worked on a motorcycle and only have limited work on a car. I just don’t think I have spark and I don’t know what I did to make this happen. I did also check the fuses and all connections around the battery to make sure I did not accidentally disconnect one of them.

Where do I go to from here?

Matt

To check for spark you really need to put a spare plug in the boot and hold it against the head for ground. Or you can twist the wire out of the boot and hold the bare wire up to the head (make sure there *is* some bare wire sticking out or almost sticking out). You will not get a spark out of holding the boot to the engine, and you may or may not have success with sticking an allen wrench in there.

If you are getting a good fat spark, pull your plugs and see if they're fouled and replace if necessary.

Comment

I have Dyna Coils on my bike that are aftermarket. Installation directions say specifically to not leave the ignition on with the bike not running for more than 5 minutes in order to "avoid damage to the coils". They get pretty hot.

If you can't get spark, check your coils next.

Comment

tomarrow I am going to start checking things. How do I check the coils?

Comment

bump bump

how do I check the coils please?

Comment

problem found, still need advice!

OK, Today I started to try to figure out what my problem is. As I was going through the manual it told me to unplug a connector under the right side cover. When I started looking around at the wires there I noticed a VERY fired wire. It appears to be black with a white or yellow stripe. It goes up to the wiring harness that goes under a gas tank, and down to a box behind the rear break master cylinder. I removed the box.

So my questions are these. What is this box. Do I need to replace it or just fix the wire from it? If I need to replace it any idea what it will cost? Of course I need to replace the wire in the harness, but is there anything else that I could have fried, anything else that I need to look at?

Thank you for all your help!

Comment

Working...
            X