Oil temp sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil temp sender

I have an 83 GS1100E and am curious as to whether the oil temp gauge is working properly. The bike has a lockhart oil cooler on it and I have only ridden it on cool days so far (60-70 degrees F). The temp gauge has not registered above 160 degrees which is the lowest indication. Also where is the temp sending unit located.

Cover the cooler with cardboard & see if the temp goes up

Comment

I have an 1150, have had it eight years, it comes stock with an oil cooler.
      I have had it actually indicate any oil temp at all only after sustained very high speed runs (illegal speeds so no figures mentioned:-\" )

Dink

Comment

Thanks Guys. I think I will try the carboard over the cooler and see if that makes any change.

Comment

I can tell you this, on my 1100E, which also has the Lockhart cooler, it takes a LONG time for it to start registering temps above 160. In fact, I thought the gauge was non-functional for the first month I had the bike, because I never saw it move. Then, on my "first" real ride of about 30 miles, it finally started to creep up, and settled around 200. Don't know why it takes so long for it to start registering, but maybe yours has the same problem????
          Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
          87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
          99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
          15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

That could also be part of my issue. Ive only had the bike a month and the longest ride I have taken it for has been about 10 miles. I did see the needle move a small amount in that distance but was expecting to see a more dramatic change. Thanks for your input

Comment

Working...
            X