Cracked plastic. Best way to repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked plastic. Best way to repair?

Need some advice. I somehow rubbed too hard and cracked my plastic chainguard on my 1000. The crack is about 1 1/2" long. I don't want to ride it again for fear the crack will grow.
    The crack didn't close back up perfectly like plastic sometimes does. There's a very small gap in it. I really doubt it would do any good to try to get something to go into the crack, so I'm thinking I should repair it from the back so the crack won't grow. Re-enforcement/patch is what I have in mind.
    The crack is on a surface that's not flat. So I can't just place a 2" square plate of metal or something behind it and glue it. Too uneven for that.
    Since you won't be able to see it on the back, I'm open to any repair idea as long as it's strong. If I do it right, I think the crack will become nearly invisible *BUT* the main idea is to keep the crack from growing larger.
    You guys know how anal I am about my bike. I still can't believe I did it.
    If anyone here knows what's the strongest plastic repair there is, I'd truly appreciate it!!
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack will stop it from growing

Comment

Plastic welder has done well for me.It comes in a 2 tube setup.The key is to get the area to be welded cleaned up very well with soapy water...Devcon makes it.Lots of good polymers in their stuff..
      It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance. - Thomas Huxley

Comment

Keith,
        You can still get these guards from Suzuki:

CHAIN CASE (BLACK) (61311-49002-019)

$50.82

The way you are with your bike (understandable), I would think a repaired crack would drive you nuts.

Comment

perhaps even a small Fibre Glass repair kit... strong and cheap

if applied carefully buffing to an original finish easy enough too...

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I didn't sleep too well last night, trying to think of things that could fix it. Yeah, I'm silly about this bike. The crack looks like the Grand Canyon to me.
            Bret...you say the chainguard is still sold by Suzuki? The first thing that popped into my mind when I cracked it was..."they don't sell these anymore".
            If they're still selling it I'd just go with that.
            Where did you get the info? I'll go by the Suzuki dealer today and ask him.
            Please anyone, in case I can't get a new one, anymore good repair ideas are welcome. Thanks again.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

For repairs, the best you're going to do is the plastic weld mentioned above, along with the drilling of small holes at the ends of the cracks. The only thing I would add would be a piece of cloth to cover the repair area. Fiberglass cloth would be the best, but some ripstop nylon would work nearly as well, and not build up the area as much. Impregnate the cloth with the plastic weld and place it over the area. Then put a layer of plastic weld over top of it with a putty knife. You should be able to do this on the inside of the chainguard, and with some sandpaper and spray paint, it will look as good as new.
              JP
              1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
              1992 Concours
              2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
              2007 FJR

Comment

Like Square Dancer said drill that hole. Then I'd use Goop brand silicone adhesive/sealer on the back. I've got a windscreen glued together with it.

Comment

The part number is still showing as available at various onilne part suppliers so your local Suzuki shop will be able to order it.

The best price I found was posted above from Flat Out Motorcycles:

Comment

Originally posted by jpaul View Post
                    For repairs, the best you're going to do is the plastic weld mentioned above, along with the drilling of small holes at the ends of the cracks. The only thing I would add would be a piece of cloth to cover the repair area. Fiberglass cloth would be the best, but some ripstop nylon would work nearly as well, and not build up the area as much. Impregnate the cloth with the plastic weld and place it over the area. Then put a layer of plastic weld over top of it with a putty knife. You should be able to do this on the inside of the chainguard, and with some sandpaper and spray paint, it will look as good as new.
                    I had forgot about ripstop!Good stuff!I used to use it when I flew combat RC planes.I used to "cook" it in some warm water before application.Thnx!
                    It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance. - Thomas Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by beby99 View Post
                      The part number is still showing as available at various onilne part suppliers so your local Suzuki shop will be able to order it.

The best price I found was posted above from Flat Out Motorcycles:

http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/fi...1311-49002-019
                      Thanks Bret!
                      I went to the Suzuki dealer today just to verify availability and they said their computer showed "just a few" left in three warehouses countrywide. Two in the eastern area, two in the central region and none on the west coast. Both dealers here want $70. 7-10 days delivery.
                      The website you mention is cheaper, which is great, but that means that ALL parts suppliers have access to these warehouses mentioned? Hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I don't want to order from a cheaper supplier, send my payment, and then get nothing but the dreaded "back ordered" reply when I ask where's my part.
                      I don't know if I'm making sense or not, but do you think there's a better chance of getting the last of these hard to find parts by using a dealer or is there simply no difference between suppliers except price? First come, first serve as far as these warehouses are concerned? Do you think all the suppliers deal with the same warehouses? Lots of questions but I never gave it much thought before.
                      As for the repair, I think I'm going to try to modify the guard first. I never have liked the end of the guard with that little ducktail. The crack is very close to the spot where I would shorten the guard. If I can find a way to cut the brittle plastic without ruining it, I think it would come out nice. I just don't know how I can cut into it without ruining it. If it doesn't work or looks bad, I can just order the new guard and that's that. If I re-think it and try to repair the crack, I think I'm going to try several layers of PVC cement. The gray type doesn't eat plastic the way the clear hot cement does and I think it will work.
                      Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 10-04-2006, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Just want to say thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.
                        Thanks Bret for letting me know I can still get a new one. I honestly thought they didn't have any around and wouldn't have bothered to check. I'm so used to hearing them say "nope...discontinued".
                        Knowing I can get a new one gives me the option to try the mod I talked about and if it fails, oh well.
                        Thanks again for taking the time.

Comment

If you can't get it new, then send it to these guys, http://www.empiregp.com/index.cfm?page=100

They are really good. When it's finished you would never have know nthe crack was there....

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                            The website you mention is cheaper, which is great, but that means that ALL parts suppliers have access to these warehouses mentioned? Hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I don't want to order from a cheaper supplier, send my payment, and then get nothing but the dreaded "back ordered" reply when I ask where's my part.
                            I don't know if I'm making sense or not, but do you think there's a better chance of getting the last of these hard to find parts by using a dealer or is there simply no difference between suppliers except price? First come, first serve as far as these warehouses are concerned? Do you think all the suppliers deal with the same warehouses? Lots of questions but I never gave it much thought before.
                            Good questions and I would only have to assume that ALL suppliers have access to these warehouses...don't know where else they would get them from unless they order from Suzuki of Japan?? Concerning the differance in price, dealer is usually always higher + tax and no shipping charge (or is this included in the price?) Online retailers don't charge tax but do charge shipping. Hopefully someone else can enlighten us. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                              Need some advice. I somehow rubbed too hard and cracked my plastic chainguard on my 1000. The crack is about 1 1/2" long. I don't want to ride it again for fear the crack will grow.
                              The crack didn't close back up perfectly like plastic sometimes does. There's a very small gap in it. I really doubt it would do any good to try to get something to go into the crack, so I'm thinking I should repair it from the back so the crack won't grow. Re-enforcement/patch is what I have in mind.
                              The crack is on a surface that's not flat. So I can't just place a 2" square plate of metal or something behind it and glue it. Too uneven for that.
                              Since you won't be able to see it on the back, I'm open to any repair idea as long as it's strong. If I do it right, I think the crack will become nearly invisible *BUT* the main idea is to keep the crack from growing larger.
                              You guys know how anal I am about my bike. I still can't believe I did it.
                              If anyone here knows what's the strongest plastic repair there is, I'd truly appreciate it!!

Is it a real clean crack? You might be able to use "Shoe Goo" on the inside. Once set up, you will probably not even be able to see the crack. Shoe Goo is absolutely amazing stuff!

Remember, you need a CLEAN crack, a jagged open crack is not good.......

Comment

Working...
                              X