Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP - Bike broke down, clutch I think

Hi all-

Thanks to everyone for being such a great source of information.

I was riding home from work tonight when all of a sudden, I had no power at all to the rear wheel. I pulled over to check out what the matter was. Upon inspection, the motor was running fine. The chain had good tension and wasn't broken. I could rev the engine with no problem. I could also shift from gear to gear with no issue. However, EVERY gear felt like neutral - no gear would apply power to the rear wheel. I could pull the clutch in and out with no effect on the rear wheel. The clutch cable wasn't broken, and the linkage was working fine. Also, when rolling the bike in any gear including neutral, I heard a clicking sound coming from what sounded like the clutch area. FWIW, I'd noticed some clutch slippage in first/second gear lately before this happened. What's wrong with my bike?

I had to walk home a couple of miles and am calling AAA to come pick the bike up and bring it home.

Thanks for any information.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2006, 08:19 PM.

Pop off the clutch cover and have a look. It might be the rivets on your clutch hub snapped. Known issue with these bikes.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I once had this happen on a z400... turned out to be that the front sprocket nut had come off, and the sprocket had come off the spline and was just spinning on the thread. :shock:

So I guess that's another possibility for you to check.

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
        I once had this happen on a z400... turned out to be that the front sprocket nut had come off, and the sprocket had come off the spline and was just spinning on the thread. :shock:

So I guess that's another possibility for you to check.
        Man, I hope that's what it is. That would be an easy fix.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X