GS1000S Wes Cooley? Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000S Wes Cooley? Engine?

Hi, Is there any way to identify this bike as real S-model?

I went to see the bike and it should be '79. Turn signals are at least wrong year and ignition side cover from smaller suzuki (logo different).. The seat seems to be either modified or different model..

On the other hand there is S-model instrument panel and original pipes. Bike is imported from Germany.

What about that oil temp gauge? It didn't work, so where is the temp sensor? Could that identify the engine as real S-model? I have read also camshafts and carburetors would differ a bit from basic gs1000.

Any help would be appreciated. Tomorrow I'm going to decide if I buy it...
    It would be just nice to know if it is Wes Cooley replica or just replica of replica.. :-)

Serial numbers. One of these guys knows.

Looks real to me. I think the side covers look fine.

Comment

Turn signals & front master cylinder look to be from a GS 1100 E. Seat looks original, except someone has cut a lot of the foam from the front. The "S" model seats were the same as the "E" model seats. The oil sending unit for the "S" models had both the temp & pressure in the same unit, the "S" models unit has 2 wires plugged on it, all others had only 1.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The gear shift lever is wrong. The S had a reverse or up and over setup
        for the rearset pegs. This doesn't have it.
        The pegs should be more rearset.
        The mirrors are wrong
        What's the exhaust from ?
        the S stock pipes ended closer to the axle, not beyond.
        The blue/white.........wasn't that North America?
        The red/white models everywhere else?

My S has a square/rectangular shaped brake res.
        yes carbs and cams were different.

It's close but no cigar.

How much?

Where's Robinjo? He's around ur area of the world and can help.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Gear lever

Didnt the 2nd year S have the rearset linkage? The 1st model is normal.

Comment

If it is a 79 S the frame number should be something like GS1000-52**** -the S's apparently began at 521285 in 79 and 528511 in 80 so it should be somewhere between those.

The engine was the same as the E (same serial sequence 121074 to 145969), including carbs & cams (according to the specs in the service manual). An S should also have 18" rear wheel and the E had 17". Besides the obvious faring there was very little difference between the S and the E.

From the pictures, the indicators, brake m/cylinder and seat look like they are not original on this one but everything else seems right. If the frame number checks out it is genuine.
            Bill Alexander
            New Zealand
            78 GS1000 - Red
            02 GSX1400 - Blue

Its is all about the journey not the destination

Comment

Here's the real thing:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The seat isn't the same as an E model
                The resevouir is round
                Last edited by renobruce; 10-12-2006, 12:15 AM.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Thanks for replies!

VIN is GS 1000 5223383 so that way it should be alright.
                  The pipes say GS1000 and there are some texts about noise and legal stuff... Looked like original. Here http://www.suzukicycles.org/1970-1979/1979a.shtml the pipes are equal with others..

About the color, here are some white and blue S-models in Finland too. Red and white haven't seen yet..

The price is about 3800 euros (~USD 5000). It is priced like normal gs-bikes in Finland (classified as museum vehicle=>makes price 1-2k euros higher). If it would be real authentic S then price is low to mee. I would assume the right price is above 5000 euros here anyway??

In addition rear wheel is 17" instead of 18", but again suzukicycles.org says:
                  GS1000S was based on the GS1000E but didn't have its pneumatic rear suspension. The fairing gained the bike's weight with 5 kg (11 lbs) and included a clock and oil temperature gauge on the instrument panel. The rear wheel diameter was increased from 17 to 18 inches on the S model.

Apparently the German version of the GS1000S did have the pneumatic rear suspension and had a 17-inch rear wheel. Slightly different bikes were sold in different parts of the world.

The GS1000S was also known as the Wes Cooley replica.

So, bike is obviously alright anyway, but main question is the real value.. Those missing parts I can find somewhere, but they will cost me many hundreds anyway here in Finland. Just almost original I would not rate even close to real authentic..:-( Hard decision...](*,)

Comment

It seems that identifying the bike as genuine S-model is difficult...
                    Some parts are definately not from that bike, but most I am concerning about if engine is real or not. It would not matter but I do have some bikes already for riding, so this must be some kind of investment also..

Do you guys think that swapping real turn signals would make it enough to be some value more than ordinary gs1000?

Actually I have round reservoir and signals on my original '79 gs850g, but wouldn't like to rip off parts from that either...

Thanks for the support!

Comment

Some parts are definately not from that bike, but most I am concerning about if engine is real or not. It would not matter but I do have some bikes already for riding, so this must be some kind of investment also..
                      From what I can understand the motors in the S & E all came from the same serial # sequence and are therefore the same spec. In my understanding what would make it "original" and therefore of greatest value is if the engine is the original in that frame. If you can confirm this then you can make a proper judgement on its value - in our part of the world the title papers identify both frame and engine number, do they do that there ?. If frame and engine do match then the "originality" value is only really reduced by the cost to replace those later parts that have been added.

The seat isn't the same as an E model
                      What I am finding interesting is the variations in specs between markets. According to my service manual, outside the North American market that "flatter" seat used on the S was also on E's. That said, my own parts bike E had the stepped style seat, so it seems like there were a lot of local market tweaks to the specs.
                      Bill Alexander
                      New Zealand
                      78 GS1000 - Red
                      02 GSX1400 - Blue

Its is all about the journey not the destination

Comment

While there are some obvious differences between countries, the confusion has been compounded by people talking about their 1980 bikes compared to this 1979 model.

I've got a genuine 1979 GS1000SN parts bike, the frame looks identical to that years E model, the main difference is obviously the fairing and additional instruments, the Mikuni VM28mm carbs (over 26mm on the E for 1979) oil pressure/temp sender plate and the 18 inch rear wheel. I've never seen a genuine S with a factory fitted 17 inch rear wheel, so I doubt if that one is an original fitment, but who knows what happened in Germany.

My red and white 1981 GS1000ST is different again, it has the factory "rear set" pegs and gear linkage, rectangular indicators and master cylinder, 18 inch rear wheel, (both wheels had gold painted spoke and rim centres, as opposed to black on all other models) Mikuni 33mm slide carbs, (factory fitment for Oz, as opposed to 34mm CV's for the US) bigger inlet cam, stepped seat, and stupid petcock with fake "prime" position. (since replaced with a pingel) it's also got the big port head, but that was common across the range. Interestingly, the GS1000G, with the same top end spec as the E, was actually faster! (gearing)

As far as "what is it worth" goes, I've seen a mint 1979 GS1000SN go for $8500.00 (AUD, or about 6400 US) and I've seen ones needing rebuilds, but complete, go for under $1000.00. If you want an investment, you're better off buying shares mate, the GS1000S is still a very capable sports bike, and while it might not ever be worth as much as one of those vile handling Kawasaki Z1's, it is a far better bike, and should be ridden regularly. Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Thanks again.

We have here only the frame number in registration papers...
                          I used to have '76 Corvette until this spring and in those circles 'matching numbers' was a big deal when speaking of value. I know what you mean Bill.

Terry, is there any way to identify 26mm or 28mm Mikuni from outside? Apparently not?? That oil temp sender I did'nt realize to check if there was any extra wires..

Well, I started to think that the price tells a lot of its originality.. At the moment Euro is quite strong but generally you still can read the price as 3800 US Dollars too.
                          Here in Finland ordinary GS1000 are priced from 1500-3000 euros anyway! If they have that 'museum' stamp (like this one has), the price range is between 3500-5000 euros. This way thinking I am stupid if I take it as real Wes Cooley..

I was too busy to finish this up yesterday and I could'nt reach the owner later afternoon, but I'll let you know if I get her home or not..
                          The bike is 100 miles away from my place..

Comment

Seems to me that it's basically a '79 GS1000S but with some '80 GS1000S parts -- such as the black indicators and the rectangular master cylinder.

Here in Australia we got the '79 in blue and white, with the neat 'dashboard' with clock and temp. gauge and all that.

The '80 model (red and white) had shorter mufflers that went to about the axle; the '79 had the ones that went to the edge of the back tyre. The '80 model also had different intruments (no 'dashboard'), higher cams, carbs with bigger jets, a pronounced 'step' up to the pillion seat, etc. as Terry has already pointed out.

These differences are just for Australia -- who knows what Suzuki got up to in other export markets?

Comment

I decided to leave the bike this time.

Thanks for everyone educating me about the model.

Comment

Working...
                              X