79 Gs850 Muffler Compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 Gs850 Muffler Compatability

I am shopping for a backup muffler system for my bike. I noticed that later years have a pre muffler. Will these still fit my 79 without any issues?
    Thankyou

From what I can tell from part numbers, the outer header pipes are shared with the 77, 78, and 79 gs750. Other than that the mufflers and center header pipes are unique to the 79 850

Comment

As far as I am aware, the '80 exhaust system will bolt on to a '79.

There are issues however. There is that cross over piece of course on the '80 system...this also has a bracket that was meant to bolt on under the engine.....so you couldn't bolt it on in the way that it was designed for. Obviously the engineers felt a bracket was helpful so you would have to take that into consideration. I put an aftermarket exhaust on my '79 so I don't know.

Just finding a stock exhaust in good condition could be a challenge as well. Once in a while you see one on E-bay for example. Also the exhaust for the "L" model will be different than the standard model.

As far as aftermarket exhausts go, some of the aftermarket exhausts that are listed for the '80 model, will fit on a '79 even though its not listed as an application.

Also, be aware that if you put an aftermarket exhaust on your bike, you'll probably have to make some carburetor adjustments on your bike to compensate for a lean mixture.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2006, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Thankyou for the prompt response. I will proceed cautiously and maybe the best way to go when the time comes is an aftermarket unit. I have owned this bike since 1980 and plan on keeping it for much longer.
        Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X