Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450L Lost key

](*,)

I lost my bike key!! What can I do? is there a number somewhere that tells me which one to get.

I searched but couldnt find anyone else who seems to have done this. I feel a right dipstick!!

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks Jeff

Key number on back of helmet hook

When I lost mine, I was told by a great locksmith to pull the helmet hook off, (2 allen head bolts) and the key number was in the back. I used a locksmith/keysupplier I found on line ( Autolock@aol.com ) and had a new key in 3 days for around $25 including shipping

Comment

Excellent!! Thank you, I knew it had to be on there somewhere. I will take a peek tomorrow.

Thanks again

Jeff \\/

Comment

It is also on the ign, you need to remove the switch to read the #
        It may also be on the gas cap 3 diget #

Comment

Not on the gas cap, for sure.. I looked there..

Good to know there are other places too..

Thanks.

Jeff

Comment

Don't Feel Bad

I'll Give You Three Guesses How I Know About The Key Numbers, So Don't Feel Bad!
            Kjwildman

Comment

Lost key

I lost my key on my 1980 850GL while riding the back roads in the southern tier of N.Y.:shock: .Luckily I'd stopped for a smoke break when I noticed no key.Then realized I can't refuel w/o it.I had about 50mi. of fuel left so I made it to the nearest suzuki dealer & they made a new key using the 3 digit #found on my gas cap & helmet lock[-o< .Total cost $3.25\\/ .If I hadn't stopped for a smoke I wouldn't have noticed until I refueled(somewhere in PA.) & would have been screwed !I got a ? for ya-all:can you remove your key when the bike is running?I can on the L model but can't on my Houston bike(1980G) & the G model has more mi. on it!I learned my lesson that day & now carry a spare key in my wallet.

Comment

spare key in the wallet is a great idea! is there different stock for our old suzuki keys? my '81 Gs450L key is kind of large ...

Comment

Can these keys be copied at the local hardware store? ie: do they usually have the proper sized blanks? I've only got one and it'd be nice to have a spare...

Comment

I'll be honest.. I still havent looked.

We had snow and my bike cover arrived off ebay so I wrapped it up!. No snow right now but it's still freezing.

I still have to remove my battery yet so I will look then.

Never tried removing the key with it running... I used to have a few Yamaha's that I could do that with, and I did lose a bunch of keys that way.. I noticed pretty quickly and turned around and was lucky enough to find them.

I think you have to get them cut at a Suzuki dealer although KJWildman left a good tip a few posts up. The web site is http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/

Jeff

Comment

When I was in N.Y. last summer the local Weiders hardware had blanks for the old Suzuki.I have not looked at other stores.Both the hardware & the Suzuki shops used the same blanks w/large head.

Comment

Hoorayyy!!! \\/

The sun came out and the snow all melted (gotta love Michigan) and I pulled off the bike cover and checked out the helmet lock.

Its hard to remove with it locked because the clips cover the hex screws but it's possible if you make the right noises.

I had to give the back plate a good cleaning before I finally found the number. So thanks again to those that helped, and I'll be mailing http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/keys.html for a replacement.. Glad to see they are the same price.

Knowing my luck, I'll find the original as soon as I order *l*

:-D

Comment

Working...
                        X