major front brake problem, GS750B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

major front brake problem, GS750B

Well, the problem has finally arisen.....

I decided to have the tab that holds my brake lever TIG welded back to where it should have been (it was broken off for about 1 year) and that required me to remove the cylinder, strip it out, and wash the fluid from it.

All this was ok, and I figured that since the rubber cups were a little hard and super shiny, and there was evidence that there was a slight leak, I would order a new kit for it.

Well, the part came, and it was wrong...... the cup size was 14mm and mine was 16mm. I notified the bike shop and they said it had been superseded, and the new one was smaller.

Well, I decided that since I wanted to get a brand new seat for my ole GS, I would order from Bike bandit.......... used their diagrams, and got a listing for my brake kit as well.

It arrived the other day, and its still too small, but its larger than the 1 I got locally here in Aus.

Turns out that the one I got here in Aus was to suit an ASCO, but mine is NISSIN. The one I got from bike bandit was to suit the NISSIN, but its still too small.........

I have dual discs on the front, and I am now guessing that they must have used a larger master cyl, but I dont know what it came off....... and they dont have the cup sizes in the listings, which makes it super hard to get the right bits....

Does anyone know if the GS850 used the NISSIN with larger cups?

My only other alternative will be to have the cylinder stainless steel sleeved if I cant find out what kit to get.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I have a twin front disc, but my 750B parts manual only shows as a single disc, and the master cyl piston cup set is shown as 59600-18824

The bike bandit (suzuki) part number sent was 59600-45821

Comment

Is it possible that you have aftermarket brakes? If you have Nissin, you may want to contact them, if possible.

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
        Is it possible that you have aftermarket brakes? If you have Nissin, you may want to contact them, if possible.

Brad bt
        Thanks for that Brad! I didnt even think of that!

I googled it and came up with an american page, emailed them and now await a reply.

I also found a japanese site but unfortunatly Im only fluent in english, (and beer).

now for the waiting game.

Comment

I don't know if this will help or just confuse matters more, but I have rebuilt the front master cylinders on both my 77 and 78 750s. The 77 is a single disc and the Suzuki part number for the kit was 59600-45821. The 78 is a twin disc and the Suzuki part number for the kit was 59600-45811. Good luck.

Comment

Don't mean to sound flippant here, but just buy a new mastercylinder. Partsnmore has them as do a bunch of other folks. Less than $75 and it's a simple install. I never bother trying to rebuild mastercylinders for the very problems that you have run into.

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by triffecpa View Post
              Don't mean to sound flippant here, but just buy a new mastercylinder. Partsnmore has them as do a bunch of other folks. Less than $75 and it's a simple install. I never bother trying to rebuild mastercylinders for the very problems that you have run into.

Tracy
              It's all a matter of what you're willing to try. I had to rebuild the rear master cylinder on my 750 after a dealer SNAFU from a chain/sprocket swap. (This was the last straw on allowing the shop jockies around my bike.) It was a simple job that was done in less than 30 minutes. I'd say purchasing a new master cylinder would be the last resort if nothing comes from trying to find the proper rebuild kit.

Brad bt

Comment

I had a 78 750, and it came in 2 flavors:
                Spoke wheels and single disc
                Mag wheels and dual discs
                Not sure if this was true for the 77 model.

Comment

It isnt so easy to get GS parts here in the "land downunder". They are not as popular as they are in the USA.

I priced a new master here and they wanted AU$350 (US$268.50) to which I simply laughed!

Over here the bike shops dont want to know about it if its over 5-10 years old, and 99% of the staff are under 25, and cant be bothered to look the old fashioned way (microfiche, BOOKS etc).

Its a sad part of life really.................

That said, yesterday I got onto a local bike enthusiast who is apparently "in the know" in relation to these brake issues, he has some way of identifying the the master cyl, and he has access to abundant stock to repair it! :YaaY:

I have to wait until tomorrow (Monday) to find out what he has to tell me now! He said he ordered the parts on friday.

Thanks for the replys, I never heard back from NISSIN after I emailed them directly. Typical supplier wont talk to end user situation I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by GS750 View Post
                    Over here the bike shops dont want to know about it if its over 5-10 years old, and 99% of the staff are under 25, and cant be bothered to look the old fashioned way (microfiche, BOOKS etc).
                    That's common here, too. Fortunately, I have a shop locally that deals with older bikes. The shop is like walking into a part's museum. While it tends to be a tad bit on the expensive side, they do usually have what I need in stock.

Brad bt

Comment

Well today my local bike wrecker managed to get me a kit!

It ended up being part number 59600-45811 to suit the following bikes:

Bike model year
                      GS1000GLX 1981
                      GS750EC 1978
                      GS750EN 1979
                      GS750LN 1979
                      GS750LT 1980
                      GS750LX 1981
                      GS850GLT 1980
                      GS850GLX 1981
                      GS850GN 1979
                      GT750-B 1977
                      GT750A 1976
                      GT750K 1973
                      GT750L 1974
                      GT750M 1975
                      RE5A 1976EET
                      RE5M 1975

I also managed to find some really cool parts cross referencing software that is awesome to find other models that use the same parts....

We provide Parts manual/catalogs on CDROM for most makes of motorcycles.

Comment

Working...
                      X