Disa-point-ed, the Finale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disa-point-ed, the Finale.

I'm done with this POS. Does anyone need parts for a 78 750?

That's too bad, did you never manage to figure out the timing?

I've been following it, not with any useful information I'm afraid. I always immediately install an electronic ignition on all points-equipped motorcycles I own.

I encourage you to not give up yet, I'm sure there is a solution. It's just a mechanical thing, it has to work if it's put together correctly.

It sounded like you were making headway?

Comment

Still can't set the points. Nobody knows which way the points cam goes on.Don't know anyone who owns a GS.

Comment

That was close.

Comment

hope you keep at it m8, soz I cant be of any help

crack n ale of choice and ......

well thats it - the limit of tech knowledge right there

but its a bloody good start and an even better finish ...:-D

Comment

Think about it. You dont need any marks to install the points cam.
            The left pointset fires the 1,4 cylinders. When cylinder 1 is at the top, the cam lobe must be pointing left towards the 1,4 (left side) pointset. The cam locks into the advance unit. There are two notches in the advance unit the cam mates to. Either the cam is oriented correctly or it is 180 deg out. If the cam lobe is on the left side when cylinder 1 is at TDC, the only possibility is that it is installed correctly.

Earl

Originally posted by Killer Canary View Post
            Still can't set the points. Nobody knows which way the points cam goes on.Don't know anyone who owns a GS.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If its the same as a a GS1000E the part NO11 fits to the crankshaft which has a corresponding slot. It will only go on either correct place or 180 degrees out.
              Part 12 can only fit in one place and that had the timing notch on.
              Part 3-5 fits on with the cable pointing down and the points facing out. Just putting the points plate in the centre of the wholes should make the bike run and you then can get the timing exact with a strobe light.

Problems that you could have.
              1-Advance unit 180 degress out.
              2- Cam shafts 180 degrees out.
              3- Failed condensors
              4- Faulty coils. Could be wired up to the wrong feed so the spark is coming at the wrong time?
              5- Plug caps on the wrong spark plugs?
              6-Weak or poor battery.

If you get a spark plug and take off No 1 and 2 leads, place the plug into the cap. Place the plug against the engine to earth it. Then turn the engine over while watching and checking for any sign of a spark. This will identify if you have spark. If no spark then there is a problem with the points, condensor, or coil.
              If you have spark then it can only be a problem with the timing of the spark or carburation for the bike not starting.

Don't give up on it. As per previous posts it's only a mechanical problem to overcome. You can get it fixed.

Suzuki Mad
              1981 GS1000ET a little poorly at present.
              1983 GSX1100ESD fully restored. Boy, was it that quick back then?

Comment

Earlfor, you're right on the money, I should have thought about it.I also found a Hayne's at the library, it had a picture that confirmed points cam orientation.
                SuzukiMad's list:
                1)The book says the advancer fits on a single pin on the crank, is it even possible to install it 180 degrees out?
                2)The cams weren't 180 degrees out, they were one pin out. corrected it, no diff.
                3)Checked the coils months ago, they were connected to the correct points but the left coil was installed in the right coils' location and hooked up to #2&3 plugs and vice-versa;sorted that out, no diff.
                4) i've measured primary an d secondary windings in both coils, all O.K.
                5) caps now on correct plugs
                6)I've been boosting with a spare truck battery all along.
                Apart from the points problem:
                1)Valves all under 1 thou clearance, suspect a couple to be burnt
                2) cam chain tensioner doesn't
                3)#3 cylinder has half the compression of the others, was hoping for a stuck ring
                4)The Clincher, for me:the cam chain is stretched beyond belief.
                Is that one too many strikes against it, what do you think?
                I owned a GS 550 for a few days but buddy needed a good bike and I have five soooo... I sold it to him.
                This 750 just seems to be too clapped out to be the one,52,000 kms and the valves have never been shimmed. Some people don't deserve a motorcycle.

Comment

Since there is only one indent on the crank for the advance unit to key into, I dont think its possible to install it 180 deg out. (at least every GS I have worked on only had one crankshaft indent.)

Earl

[QUOTE=Suzuki mad;
                  Problems that you could have.
                  1-Advance unit 180 degress out.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Jeez........

As long as the coil that has its plug wires going to the 2,3 cylinders is connected to the right side pointset, it makes no difference where the coil is located.

Valves under 1 thou and a couple burnt.......... I had that problem with a 750 some years ago. My experience was that the best I could do was get it to kick and sputter a few times. I couldnt get it to run until I corrected that situation.

Cam chain tensioner doesnt............... Been there too. My experience is that without the cam tensioner working, the engine will not maintain accurate valve timing and will not run well/if at all. That must be fixed also. The good news is its a simple mechanism and not difficult to access or work on.

#3 cylinder with half compression.............. I suspect that is due to a valve problem.

Cam chain................. You can "break" and pull a new cam chain through without splitting the cases. You wil need a rivet master link to rejoin it though. Probably between the stretched chain and the non functioning tensioner, the valves are not timing even remotely close even though you have the pin count and cam orientation correct.

Earl

Originally posted by Killer Canary View Post
                    Earlfor, you're right on the money, I should have thought about it.I also found a Hayne's at the library, it had a picture that confirmed points cam orientation.
                    SuzukiMad's list:
                    1)The book says the advancer fits on a single pin on the crank, is it even possible to install it 180 degrees out?
                    2)The cams weren't 180 degrees out, they were one pin out. corrected it, no diff.
                    3)Checked the coils months ago, they were connected to the correct points but the left coil was installed in the right coils' location and hooked up to #2&3 plugs and vice-versa;sorted that out, no diff.
                    4) i've measured primary an d secondary windings in both coils, all O.K.
                    5) caps now on correct plugs
                    6)I've been boosting with a spare truck battery all along.
                    Apart from the points problem:
                    1)Valves all under 1 thou clearance, suspect a couple to be burnt
                    2) cam chain tensioner doesn't
                    3)#3 cylinder has half the compression of the others, was hoping for a stuck ring
                    4)The Clincher, for me:the cam chain is stretched beyond belief.
                    Is that one too many strikes against it, what do you think?
                    I owned a GS 550 for a few days but buddy needed a good bike and I have five soooo... I sold it to him.
                    This 750 just seems to be too clapped out to be the one,52,000 kms and the valves have never been shimmed. Some people don't deserve a motorcycle.

Comment

Working...
                    X