Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much travel at your front brake lever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks very much for the replies. I believe I've found the actual problem and would like to share it with those interested. Being a safety issue, I take it seriously and feel I should share what I think the problem is. Pardon how detailed I get and the long read, you guys know me by now.
    To recap a bit... my brake lever travel was slowly getting less and less and the brakes started dragging some. I'm guessing the original pre-problem travel was about 1 1/2". It was now at 1" and no longer acceptable.
    A local bike shop suggested the silicone fluid I ran had swelled the piston seals and with the pistons no longer retracting correctly, they dragged and created my "hard lever". The shop was correct as I replaced the seals and thoroughly disassembled/flushed the silicone out and the problem was gone. The pistons could now be pushed back with finger force, where before they were stuck solid. After re-assembly, I could feel the small amount of play that both caliper assemblies should have when the lever is released. There was zero play before at both calipers. I'm positive the new seals had fixed things. I bled the brakes by hand and with a pump and ALL air was positively removed.
    However, now I had the opposite problem. There is excessive lever travel now. 1 3/4". This actually is close to many new bikes I tested at the local dealer but I knew it wasn't right. I re-bled/flushed and couldn't figure out what was going on (as some of you have read)...until now.
    Sometimes fixing something can expose a second problem. In my case, it seemed the only problem was swelled seals. Wrong.
    After all the bleeding, etc, I noticed the play at the left caliper had lessened as compared to the right caliper. There was no doubt the left caliper was now a little tighter against the rotor. When released, you could see a gap between pad and rotor on the right, but not at the left. Wiggling the caliper body by hand also made it obvious that the left had lost some play and was no longer equal to the right. Hmmm. Now the earlier signs during disassembly made it obvious. There was a small leak from the seal that couldn't be seen until the caliper was upside down in my hand. It also required 100 PSI to blow out that piston (only 35 for the right side). There was also a very small "shiny spot" in the bore where the piston, barely changing position, rubbed. I could not feel this spot with my finger, I could only see it so I thought it was OK.
    It now seems obvious that I also have a cocked/semi-sticking piston. The piston isn't moving straight in and out as it should, thus the shiny mark in the bore. The cocked piston would tend to make the seal leak prematurely too. With the left piston now sticking out a little more than the right side, I have less play at the left pad and rotor. This is why the excessive travel I believe.
    Since I have two calipers, as the lever is pulled in, the left side contacts before the right side now. With the right side "lagging" behind the left side now, there's no way you're going to get a solid feel at the lever until both calipers are contacting reasonably hard. They MUST operate equally. After the left contacts well, the right still needs more fluid/lever pull to contact solidly. Thus the extra travel/pull needed. Makes sense to me.
    Now my problem is I need a replacement caliper body. I have no faith in trying to sand/polish, etc, the bore in an attempt to make the piston move correctly. The factory manual says the service/wear limit of the piston or bore is only .001" from new. Any attempt at re-surfacing the bore would surely take me out of spec. So now I have to try to find an NOS caliper if I can, or play the used part game. The caliper is no longer available at the dealer.
    Thanks for reading this and let me know of any thoughts you have.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Just bumping this up.
      I made the last reply late last night and I know how soon it can get buried in the tech section. I'm off to work now but would like to read any thoughts you may have.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

It hasn't been forgotten i will post my (unqualifed) thoughts later when time permits.
        EDIT...
        A few things to think about, the less distance between the caliper piston and pads to the rotor the less lever travel required to apply the brakes, to correct a longer travel you would have to reduce the clearance between the piston-pad assembly and the rotor to the point just before they begin to drag to be at the optimum distance, also the pads must be parallel to the rotor or they will have to be "twisted" parallel to the rotor by more fluid requiring greater lever travel. does it seem safe enough to ride to let the pads seat in and see what happens to the lever travel?
        the seals in the caliper bore retract the pistons that combined with lateral rotor movement (a slight wobble if you will), have you checked the run-out of the rotors to see if they're excessively warped because of the problem you had with your seals, causing the piston to be pushed back further into the caliper on the right than on the left side?
        if the brakes do not drag on the left hand side i suspect the problem of excessive clearance or improper pad wear may be with the right side, if i have read your post correctly.
        have you measured the clearance of the caliper and piston to see if it within spec?
        what side has the shiney spot in the bore? i think it is or was caused by the pad not seating correctly or an incorrectyly aligned caliper causing a side load on the piston where as a correctly aligned caliper (in relation to the rotor) would not.
        without moving the bike do the brakes pump up any?
        Last edited by rustybronco; 11-15-2006, 08:23 PM. Reason: more thoughts
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I SURE don't know the mechanics like you all do (I'm learning though, reading all this). I hate to admit that I just paid someone to change my brake fluid, how pathetic am I ....But, I can give you measurements. Seeing this for the first time today, don't know if you still want 'em... just trying to partcipate

1980 GS850G... No up-grades to the brake system (no S.S. lines) all original I think. Also, pretty sure my levers are stock... everything else seems to be. Don't know if you'd call them a dog-leg style or not. They are NOT a smooth, one arc shape from the pivot point to the ball-tip end. There IS a change of arc about 2 1/2" out from the pivot point... But I wouldn't call it a major dog-leg.

Distance from inside the ball-end of the lever to closest inside point on the stock grip is (at 90 degrees to the grip) 3 3/8". Then, walking forward, squeeze lever to induce a good stop, with front forks dipping ... the same distance is now 2".
          Therefore, lever travel is 1 3/8".

With right hand on grip - 2nd and 3rd fingers resting on lever just inside that very subtle dog-leg - thumb and 4th and 5th fingers wrapped around lever... when I squeeze the front brake, the lever is not touching fingers 4 & 5. However, if I REALLY need the fronts on hard, I get fingers 4 & 5 on the lever too. Good luck and thanks for letting me read along

Edit: Here's a weird thing - now that you got me measuring... the same distance from ball to grip on front brake lever that is 3 3/8" (as said above) ---- On my clutch lever, is 4 1/8" !!! Why is my clutch lever sticking out 3/4" more than my brake lever? Or, why is my brake lever in 3/4" closer than my clutch lever? Shouldn't they be the same?
          Last edited by Guest; 11-15-2006, 06:17 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by GregM. View Post
            I SURE don't know the mechanics like you all do (I'm learning though, reading all this). I hate to admit that I just paid someone to change my brake fluid, how pathetic am I
            pathetic? just give yourself some time in this forum...that will pass.

Comment

Just keeping the post warm for you Keith.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I had a long day but I thought I should reply since you guys were good enough to.
                Greg, my levers measure differently too. I have about 3 1/4" I.D. from the brake lever ball to the grip and right at 4" at the clutch lever. Not due to any lay downs, etc. After looking at it, it looks to me like the outer edge of the bracket that the clutch lever mounts to actually points inward slightly (toward headlight). This completely changes the angle between the lever and grip. The lever apparently goes out/away more because of this.
                Where the brake lever mounts on the reservoir/brake lever mount, that outer edge is straight in line with the bike, so the lever starts at an angle several degrees less. Hope I explained that well.
                Rustybronco, I measured the piston and bore and they were right at the service limit which allows for only .001" wear. Actually, my calipers need to be re-calibrated because the needle is off by what looks like .0005". So I'm not positive but the shiny mark is not a good sign for sure. It proves things aren't going in and out straight enough. I forgot just what position the mark was at and the parts are back together for the moment.
                The bike hasn't been off the centerstand. I think I can ride it but I don't like the lever play. I haven't measured rotor run out but there doesn't appear to be a problem there (simple spin test). The rotors thickness is within specs. The brake lever will not "pump up". The 1 3/4" travel is consistant after extensive bleedings. The pads are in good shape and don't look like they're wearing incorrectly, though I could measure them when I take things apart again.
                The caliper axle bolts have a good chrome plating still and are re-greased with specific caliper axle grease and the o-rings they use were replaced recently.
                There is obvious less play at the left caliper than the right. I feel the right is operating as it should. The pad should release the rotor, not by much, but it should. The right does that. The left isn't really dragging that much, but it's obviously not releasing the rotor and there appears to be constant contact. I'm no expert, but I can see it shouldn't be doing that.
                So the calipers are not applying equal, or equal enough, pressure. I think the excessive lever travel is because the right side needs a bit more pressure to stop the lever because it has to "catch up" to the left side. I suppose it could always be something that I just don't have the experience to see, but I have to blame the piston and/or its bore. The previous clues during disassembly suggest the same thing. The leaky seal, the shiny spot, the piston was stuck MUCH tighter than the other. I think it's cocked a bit and after several compressions while bleeding/testing the feel, it would appear it's semi-sticking again. Not anything like it was before due to swelled seals, but the left caliper/piston is obviously out a bit more than the right.
                I don't like spending $ any more than the next guy, but I probably won't deal with used calipers. Time is money and I'm looking at possibly buying an NOS caliper assembly. Looks like I found one for $200 and I'll do some more searching. Seems like if I buy the whole assembly, I have a great shot at getting rid of the problem. I just can't see what else it could be.
                Thanks again for the help. Gotta get to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                  There is obvious less play at the left caliper than the right. I feel the right is operating as it should. The pad should release the rotor, not by much, but it should. The right does that. The left isn't really dragging that much, but it's obviously not releasing the rotor and there appears to be constant contact. I'm no expert, but I can see it shouldn't be doing that.
                  I agree it should not be dragging
                  So the calipers are not applying equal, or equal enough, pressure. but I have to blame the piston and/or its bore. The previous clues during disassembly suggest the same thing. The leaky seal, the shiny spot, the piston was stuck MUCH tighter than the other. I think it's cocked a bit and after several compressions while bleeding/testing the feel, it would appear it's semi-sticking again.
                  the bore is possibly not round not allowing the piston to retract properly, and an inside mike would confirm?!? as you said time is money but inquiring minds would like to know.
                  one question i did ask that i may not have been clear on, is the shiney spot in the left or right caliper?
                  not where in the bore.
                  one more thing if the piston measures round possibly put some kind of grease, marking compound or what not to the area(s) in question and if there is a high spot, take crocus cloth to that area.
                  Last edited by rustybronco; 11-16-2006, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm off to work in a second.
                    The shiny spot is in the left caliper. The left seems to be the problem caliper and shows several signs. The right had no signs of problems during disassembly. I'm just not 100% sure why the left isn't acting like the right and I don't want to buy an expensive part to fix things. But I'm about 99% sure it's the piston or bore.
                    I'll measure things and let people know the results later when I can.
                    For the moment, unless a better idea pops up, I plan to test ride it and see what I think. I feel it's OK to ride. If anything, I feel the left side will just worsen regarding sticking. That would tend to lessen the brake travel if the past is any indication.

Comment

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered an NOS caliper assembly from Australia.
                      I'm just glad I found one. $227 including shipping but that's actually a bit lower than the dealer cost 6 years ago which was the last I heard it was still available.
                      I have poor luck with used parts so I just didn't want to try it.
                      Anderson Vintage Parts did have one listed for $120 but he's on our deadbeat list. Jeez, he used to be a good guy.
                      To add to the caliper sticking piston/bore problem, it appears I've over-torqued the bleeder one too many times as it started leaking very slowly. I tightened it but no luck. It should only be torqued about 5 lb/ft. It's easy to over torque at that amount. Nothing you can do if you damage the spot where the screw tip seats. I blamed the Russell speedbleeder and bought some new ones but it turns out the bleed screw seat must be damaged. So I wasted a little more on that. Oh well, live and learn.
                      I'm just glad to have a new caliper on the way. At least the assembly comes with everything. Just the genuine Suzuki chromed caliper axle bolts go for about $27 each. And I get some new pads so I'll only need 1 set the next time too. I hope to get another 130,000 miles on this caliper.
                      I just told the wife I'll consider this my Christmas gift. Doesn't cost a thing if you look at it that way. At least this year I'm getting something I want, even if it's not a surprise.
                      Thanks for all the replies and I hope this thread helped others.

Comment

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered an NOS caliper assembly from Australia.
                        I'm just glad I found one. $227 including shipping but that's actually a bit lower than the dealer cost 6 years ago which was the last I heard it was still available.
                        I have poor luck with used parts so I just didn't want to try it.
                        Anderson Vintage Parts did have one listed for $120 but he's on our deadbeat list. Jeez, he used to be a good guy.
                        To add to the caliper sticking piston/bore problem, it appears I've over-torqued the bleeder one too many times as it started leaking very slowly. I tightened it but no luck. It should only be torqued about 5 lb/ft. It's easy to over torque at that amount. Nothing you can do if you damage the spot where the screw tip seats. I blamed the Russell speedbleeder and bought some new ones but it turns out the bleed screw seat must be damaged. So I wasted a little more on that. Oh well, live and learn.
                        I'm just glad to have a new caliper on the way. At least the assembly comes with everything. Just the genuine Suzuki chromed caliper axle bolts go for about $27 each. And I get some new pads so I'll only need 1 set the next time too. I hope to get another 130,000 miles on this caliper.
                        I just told the wife I'll consider this my Christmas gift. Doesn't cost a thing if you look at it that way. At least this year I'm getting something I want, even if it's not a surprise.
                        Thanks for all the replies and I hope this thread helped others.
                        I just bought myself a new skilsaw and Im getting progressive front fork springs for my christmas gift!They may not be wrapped in christmas paper but at least I get to open the box!LOL!! Keith,your bike is special and deserves brand new parts!

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                          I just bought myself a new skilsaw and Im getting progressive front fork springs for my christmas gift!They may not be wrapped in christmas paper but at least I get to open the box!LOL!! Keith,your bike is special and deserves brand new parts!
                          Thanks! Enjoy the saw and the springs.

Comment

Working...
                          X