Master Cylinder Resevoir?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Cylinder Resevoir?

My front master cylinder is in poor shape... Cosmetically, It needs some paint or powdercoat since the original paint has chipped away. Plus, the resevoir was corroded and looks cruddy.

I ordered a replacement resevoir from bike bandit, and even though the part # was correct, it doesn't seem the match the original! The original had two screws holding it in place, but the new one has only one screw hole and seems to be wider (ie it doesn't fit in the resevoir cup.)

I know some of you have looked into using master cylinders from other models. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do here (look for a replacement master cylinder, try to find a different resevoir, etc?) Thanks!

Has anyone else ever experienced a flaw in the fiche? It's the original part number, I'm not quite sure why it's so different that the original

Comment

It may have been replaced at some other time in it's life. "L" resivoir may be different from a standard model . The tilt of the cyl is different for the pull back L bars so it's anybodys guess without pictures

Comment

I just changed one tonight on a 450L with a dealer part. It was on $18 for the resivoir and O ring so I would return the one to Bike Bandit and head for the dealer. Parts like that I like to stick with OEM.
        1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
        The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

This IS an oem part. I verified that the part numbers on bike bandit matched those of alpha sports and mr cycles already. Could they have mispackaged it?

I'll take some pictures tonight :/

Comment

I'd return the reservoir and chunk the factory MC. Just my opinion, but I hate having a seperate reservoir and finding rebuild kits and parts are a pain in the butt. Find yourself a modern MC off of a newer metric bike that has the same setup (single or dual disc) as yours and the same handlebar diameter. Unless you're running clip-ons, it should be the standard 7/8". Use the banjo bolt from your factory MC and everything else should bolt up. The factory MC switch is junk IMO, all you have to do is cut the wires where they go into your original switch and install small spade connectors to fit the modern, replaceable switch on your new MC. I've got a Ninja MC on my bike, fits and works great, looks nice, and rebuild kits are available. Plus the sight glass is clear and in great shape.

Comment

tx, Thanks for the post... I am considering this now. Did you get it off of one of the small ninjas? (250/500)

Comment

I honestly don't remember, I bought the MC assembly, lines and calipers, complete and working, off of Ebay for $9 over a year ago. I do know it came with Nissin 4-piston calipers, so that may narrow it down. Just look for a one-piece (no external reservoir) MC with the same number of discs as yours. You may get lucky and get a whole assembly cheap like I did. I've seen several people custom make brackets to mount newer calipers, but I'm trying to get mine running before I modify it. If you have dual front discs, a MC off of most Shadows, Vulcans, etc. would fit, but not Harleys because they use 1" handlebars. You could use a spacer, but it's too much hassle and they're not that reliable anyway.

Comment

So as long as the MC fits the bar and it for the right number of discs, the brakelines and calipers should work fine with it, right? I was looking at ebay and saw this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT...52989246QQrdZ1 just because it has GS1100 in the title. I'm sure it's probably not great quality so I'll keep looking at the shadows etc like you mentioned. Thanks!

Comment

Actually, it looks nearly new, and it is an aftermarket MC. I'm not sure where you'd get rebuild kits, but if you run good brake fluid and maintain the system it should work great for as long as you own the bike. He's got a pretty impressive feedback, too. Still, you should be able to find a used factory one cheaper. On something like a MC, try to keep the shipping below $10, because it will fit in a Priority Mail "flat rate" box and with $50 insurance it'll still be below $10. I know, I just used one of those today.

Comment

I recently had major hassles seeking parts for my GS750B because a previous owner had fitted twin front discs and a different master cylinder.

During my hunt for parts I also managed to find some really cool parts cross referencing software that is awesome to find other models that use the same parts....

We provide Parts manual/catalogs on CDROM for most makes of motorcycles.

I am in no way affiliated, other than being a very satisfied customer!

Comment

Working...
                        X