drive chain GS 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drive chain GS 1150

Hello everyone, I am at a stage to change the chain on 86 GS 1150E, the book Hynes manual indicates it is endless chain, the one on the bike is clip type, has anyone did conversion on this bike from 630 to 530 or 520 or 540, also in the manual (Hynes) does not mention how many links, it only mentions 630, any one knows how many links? last but not least any preference to chain brand? Thank you for reading theis thread and have a great day.

ard

I run mine 530 converted, I buy 120 link chain , & remove a couple of links, 4 IIRC stick to quality brands, RK, EK, Regina etc.
    Iam running an RK 530 GVW X-ring chain, have only adjusted it twice in 18 months, lube the chain each night as you are parking the bike for the night, reduces fling off.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
      ... lube the chain each night as you are parking the bike for the night, reduces fling off.

Dink
      Every night? Wow, sounds excessive to me. How many kilometers/day are you riding?

According to my Suzuki manual the chain specs are as follows:

DAIDO D.I.D. 630 YL or TAKASAGO RK630GSV, 102 Links

ard, we going out for a ride sometime?
      Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2006, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
        I run mine 530 converted, I buy 120 link chain , & remove a couple of links, 4 IIRC stick to quality brands, RK, EK, Regina etc.
        Iam running an RK 530 GVW X-ring chain, have only adjusted it twice in 18 months, lube the chain each night as you are parking the bike for the night, reduces fling off.

Dink
        Hello Dink, if I convert to 530, do I have to worry about fabricating the front sproket? did you get to buy yours as a kit? or you had to adapt chain to sproket.

ard

Comment

chain

hello Scott, I thought you'd call me by now I havent done GS riding lately, but I am still riding specially when I have a chance to go to the city. keep in touch so we can get together.

ard

Comment

On my bike ('81 GS750E) it says that when I do a 530 swap with a Sunstar sprocket, I need a 6mm (.24") thick washer on the countershaft sprocket. Are these fairly easy to find? That's right at 1/4", I don't think my local hardware store's gonna have that. Any ideas?

On the "OEM-type" steel sprockets (Parts Unlimited), it says that the outside damper of the factory sprocket must be removed and used as a spacer, and a spacer is included with the sprocket.

I've heard that Sunstar is a very reliable brand, so I'd rather use their conversion sprockets. Luckily, the old 630 chain & sprockets are good enough to get me by for a while so I have time to research (considering I still don't have it running). I'm sure someone here has done the conversion and found the spacer, any help?

At the rate this bike is going, by the time I'm done and have it running I'll be a bona-fide expert on them front tire to license plate.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L View Post
              Every night? Wow, sounds excessive to me. How many kilometers/day are you riding?
              In Australia my chain and sprockets cost around $400, hardened tool steel and high quality chain, chain lube is cheap insurance.

Originally posted by ard View Post
              Hello Dink, if I convert to 530, do I have to worry about fabricating the front sproket? did you get to buy yours as a kit? or you had to adapt chain to sproket.

ard
              I bought the spacer with the sprockets, cost $18. I was supplied GSXR sprockets.

Dink

Comment

Z1 has all the parts and info you need to do a 530 chain conversion here.

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                On my bike ('81 GS750E) it says that when I do a 530 swap with a Sunstar sprocket, I need a 6mm (.24") thick washer on the countershaft sprocket. Are these fairly easy to find? That's right at 1/4", I don't think my local hardware store's gonna have that. Any ideas?

On the "OEM-type" steel sprockets (Parts Unlimited), it says that the outside damper of the factory sprocket must be removed and used as a spacer, and a spacer is included with the sprocket.

I've heard that Sunstar is a very reliable brand, so I'd rather use their conversion sprockets. Luckily, the old 630 chain & sprockets are good enough to get me by for a while so I have time to research (considering I still don't have it running). I'm sure someone here has done the conversion and found the spacer, any help?

At the rate this bike is going, by the time I'm done and have it running I'll be a bona-fide expert on them front tire to license plate.

Comment

Working...
                X