No announcement yet.

Engine oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have run every vehicle that we have owned on Valvoline XLD 20W50 Friction modified and have never had a problem. We make a point of doing the services when they are due and change both oil and filter everytime. We have found that clean oil is the important bit here.
    Dink tried changing the oil in the Tractor to a full synthetic oil of the same weight and found that the engine felt and sounded unhappy.
    I would suggest finding an oil that suits you and stick with it.

Comment

Jean
      What did duncan find with the synthetic oil?????

Comment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
        Jean
        What did duncan find with the synthetic oil?????
        Scotty
        The engine sounded louder and more rattley, it used more fuel, the idle speed became slightly erratic even after attempts to adjust it, there was also an increase in the vibration through the bike. The motor burned the oil as well, once he changed back things returned to normal.

Comment

Re: engine oil

Originally posted by DignoGS1100G
          My original 1982 Suzuki Service Manual states :
          "Use API classification of SE or SF oil with SAE 10W/40 viscosity."
          Of course this is a 20yr old manual so maybe there are better things out there today, but still I would prefer to stick to the original specifications.

Digno
          1982 GS1100G
          Don't forget that the books are referring to 10W/40 oil as formulated in 1982.

I'll guarantee you that they didn't contain the chemical cocktails used in today's oils.

While I doubt that modern auto oil will affect anything other than the clutch plates and may actually have a bit better package to help seal/gasket integrity, I still feel more comfortable making sure I'm using a motorcycle-specific oil.

My bike has used Golden Spectro semi-synthetic for all of its 29k miles. The last time I opened the engine it was spotless.

Just a random comment.

Dan Bennett
          85 GS1150ES

Comment

I agree with you Dan find out what the bike has been using and stick with it.that is my advice.
            Dink

Comment

Castrol GTX 10w40 Use it and change it every 3000 miles and you will never have a problem with it. Wouldn't use anything but Castrol, been using it exclusively since 1969.

Comment

I own a 1978 GS750. I use Castrol classic 20W50, despite the oil cap having "use 10W40" stamped on it. The manual says 20W50. So long as you use a quality brand, of the correct viscocity range and ensure it EXCEEDS the required SAE spec (most oils today will) and you change regularly then you are doing all you can. I agree that you shouldn't use any aftermarket oil additives, avoid slick50 like the plague, and don't use magnatec. Just stick to what the bike was designed to use, miniral based 20W50 in my case.

Comment

Oils

Since I bought my bike I was using Quaker State 10-40 Synthetic. After about 2000 miles it would darken and shifting would get a little rough, thats how I knew when to change it. But I got good gas milege and a very smooth running engine. This year I switched to Valvoline 20-50 synthetic and after 2500 miles it had only darken very slightly and I still had silky smooth shifts. Gas milege is about the same.

Comment

i have always used 20w50 in all 3 of my gs including the dragbike - just use the more expensive spectro 20-50 in the drag bike;

i have read on several dragbike engine builders that running mobil-1 10-40 is the choice - but i'm sceptical;

i do run mobil-1 in my cars - and it is the best;

dave-1100

Comment

I run a Torco synthetic in my drag bike that is suited for the Methanol. In my street bikes I normally run a 20W50 Kendal in the summer months. Nothing foams like it.

Comment

Motor oil

I just changed my oil and filter and I used Spectro 4 MC blended oil 10W40. It is a dino oil and comes in a nice 4 lt. jug. A friend of mine who rode Beemers for 20 years and now has a Yamaha V-star who swears on synthetics. I'm not sold on the newer oils but to each his own.
                        GY

Comment

For the last 9 years, I have been running Golden Spectro synthetic "blend" in my bikes and have had no problems whatsoever. I have not yet put it in the GS yet until I know that I have the fuel problem fixed. MCN had a couple of good articles a year or so ago that broke down a bunch of oils, car, bike, synthetic, you name it, and broke it down to all the ingredients and how much they had, etc. Then they got a bunch of gold wing guys to run the oils for 1500 miles or so and drain it and tested it again for breakdown. I don't remember all the facts, but a lot of the facts would suprise you!

Mike: 81GS1100EX, KZdragbike, 84 Honda interceptor.

Comment

New bikes can handle synthetic motor oils but bikes like the old GS's have clutches that will slip or fail to engage all together if a synthetic is used.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Falke
                              New bikes can handle synthetic motor oils but bikes like the old GS's have clutches that will slip or fail to engage all together if a synthetic is used.
                              which old gs bikes are you referring to please

Comment

Well at least my 1979 can't use it and I know another 1980 GS1000 that can't. When it gets into the mid 80's I haven't a clue.

Comment

Working...
                                X