80 gs750L starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs750L starter problems

Just bought a 1980 GS750L with 36,000 miles that has not been run in 3-4 yrs. Bike is in excellent cosmetic condition. It has not been modified in any way. Problem is the starter does not work. Purchased new battery charged and checked voltage. All OK. The solenoid clicks. Tried jumping solenoid with screw driver, starter still would not work. Removed starter, checked brushes, etc. all looks fine. Hooked up battery directly to starter with starter out of bike and the starter operates correctly, turns freely. The positive battery cable and ground cable seem to build a lot of heat when trying to operate starter. I did see smoke coming from the connection on the battery side of the solenoid. .
    Checked voltage at battery side of solenoid--OK
    Checked voltage at starter side of solenoid while trying to start. Voltage was low and erratic.
    No coroded connections can be seen.
    I am beginning to questions if the starter circut is OK and if the motor is frozen. Tried to push start the bike, just to see if motor would turn. Unable to push start, back wheel just locks up. What is the easiest way to turn over the motor to make sure it is not frozen with no starter. I just read that some people do not reccomend push starting. Does the motor have a bolt on the crank that can be used to turn the motor over by hand?
    I would like to get this bike running, but I am not sure what direction to go. I thought the bike was a steal at $100.00, but now I am beginning to wonder.
    Any input is appreciated.

The starter clutch? Sounds like your getting power to the starter and it's seized. (Starter moves freely when removed and smoking the battery terminals when installed) The starter clutch is under the stator cover.
    Take off the ignition trigger cover and try turning the engine there. Use a wrench on the big bolt (19mm), not the small one.
    Last edited by chef1366; 11-22-2006, 03:24 AM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks,
      I will remove the ignition trigger cover and try to turn over. If the motor is frozen I am parting out bike. This bike is 100% complete and clean. I noticed you live in Bakersfield. I am located in Porterville. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Put the transmission in fifth gear and bump the engine over that way. I suspect the starter wires of corrosion under the insulation if the wires get so hot. Replace those wires with new, proper guage and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
        X