how or can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how or can

I how would I go about turning off a petcock on a GS550t or can I?

Originally posted by hot_wax_tree View Post
    I how would I go about turning off a petcock on a GS550t or can I?
    In the normal run position, fuel is supplied when the engine is turning over and vacuum is present. If the engine is not turning, there is no vacuum and the valve is automatically off. There is no manual "off" setting on any vacuum operated petcock on a GS.

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If it doesn't turn off you need a new one.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

On your petcock,

PRI = Prime - this allows gas to constantly flow freely, engine running or not. Useful if bike has been sitting or falls over.

ON or RUN = fuel will only flow (as earl described) when the engine is running so the vacuum created from running and compression draws the gas into the carbs instead of flowing into them freely (also the setting you want when removing the tank so it doesn't dribble gas all over)

RES = Reserve - allows you to drain the last bit of gas from the tank until you can refuel... not a good idea if you have sediment in your tank

This link is Ninja-specific, but explains the uses and functions of the settings in more detail, and the diagram is hlepful to understand what they mean by "straws" and all, but since they're another make, keep what earl said in mind. If you do have an OFF setting on your petcock, it's not likely a stock petcock and OFF is not necessary with a vacuum-fed system since the only time you would want to stop gas flow completely is for tank removal, and the lack of vacuum pressure does the same thing in the ON position. If yours has an OFF setting, find out what make model the petcock is and if you still have a vacuum-type petcock (like stock) or gravity fed, etc.

And anyone, please feel free to correct me if I screwed up any info I put here... this stuff is all pretty new to me too :-D

Comment

Of course, this is all assuming that the petcock on your bike still works! If it doesn't, and there is no "off" position, you could still end up spilling gas everywhere when you remove the tank. The petcocks on these bikes are notorious for causing many nights of confusion and frustration. But if it does work, the vacuum automatically opens it as long as it's not on prime.

On every bike I've ever owned, vacuum petcock or not, I still pinched and clamped the line shut whenever I took the tank off.

Comment

Working...
          X