Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing rectangular o-ring between cylinder block and head

1983 GS1100GL (8-valve engine)

Alright, I have read all(I think) of the threads about the cylinder heads and cylinder blocks and one thing I don't believe I saw mentioned was the rectangular o-ring between cylinder block and head. The Clymer manual says to "install new head gasket and rectangular o-ring on cylinder block." The gasket kit came with the rectangular o-ring, but I can't remember if there was one on there when I dismantled it.

My problem with installing it is that it would sit on the head gasket between the cylinder block or head. There is no groove for the o-ring. I wouldn't think that this would not allow a good seal for the head gasket around the o-ring. The Clymer manual shows it inside of the rectangular opening in the gasket, but the o-ring is bigger than that.

I have the old head gasket, but no o-ring, so I am 99% sure there wasn't one when I disassembled it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(I will get a photo on here in a minute if I can get it to upload. Not working right now for some reason.)

Shawn
    That rectangular o-ring fits into the groove around the timing chain well on top of the block assembly. The head gasket is supposed to fit over it. When the head is torqued up, the o-ring is designed to add extra sealing next to the bores on #2 & #3 cylinders. The gasket and o-ring complete the seal in that area. Check your block surface in case the old o-ring is still stuck to it.
    In racing applications, some tuners use a similar system called o-ringing the bores when trying to seal motors with very high compression ratios.
    In that instance, a groove is cut into the block around each of the bores and a metal o-ring (often copper) is inserted before the head is torqued down.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

No groove for the o-ring

Thanks for the response 49er. The problem is still that there is no groove for the o-ring. I went out and double-checked the block and the head. No groove.

I thought that maybe the 16-valve motors had the groove and the 8-valvers didn't, but my Clymer manual mentions it and it is for the 850-1100 G models. I am about ready to just put is back together with no o-ring since you have to have a groove to use the o-ring.

What else can I do?
      Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2006, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ifly85 View Post
        1983 GS1100GL (8-valve engine)

Alright, I have read all(I think) of the threads about the cylinder heads and cylinder blocks and one thing I don't believe I saw mentioned was the rectangular o-ring between cylinder block and head. The Clymer manual says to "install new head gasket and rectangular o-ring on cylinder block." The gasket kit came with the rectangular o-ring, but I can't remember if there was one on there when I dismantled it.

My problem with installing it is that it would sit on the head gasket between the cylinder block or head. There is no groove for the o-ring. I wouldn't think that this would not allow a good seal for the head gasket around the o-ring. The Clymer manual shows it inside of the rectangular opening in the gasket, but the o-ring is bigger than that.

I have the old head gasket, but no o-ring, so I am 99% sure there wasn't one when I disassembled it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(I will get a photo on here in a minute if I can get it to upload. Not working right now for some reason.)

I have no idea what rec. o-ring you are describing. Go here:

Get a picture of your 1100 8V and find the o-ring. I am not seeing one....

Comment

Shawn
          My reply was based on info from the same manual as you have. My 79 850 has a groove in the block. It sounds like your model doesn't have the groove. I based my answer on the supplement "1981 and later service information" at the back of the manual which reads: Service proceedures are the same as previous models. Refer to table 7 for specifications for the 1100 cc engine.
          Your gasket set must cover a range of years for your engine. Some earlier models may have had the groove for the o-ring.
          Ian
          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Sorry, no photo

Thanks Ian and Road Clam. That website was good also and it doesn't show the o-ring either. I did forget to check the supplemental info in the back, but I guess it wasn't needed anyway.

Here is the photo I promised, since I finally got my internet connection to work right. **Sorry, I guess the photo won't work from tripod either way. I also can't upload one here** I will set up a Photobucket account for next time.

I guess I will go ahead and finish the assembly.

Thanks,

Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2006, 01:26 AM.

Comment

You will already have noticed that Tripod does not permit re-posting of photos from their site.

Just copy the URL as you did for the photo inclusion attempt, but paste the url into the text area, as is.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
              X