recommended oil filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recommended oil filter?

just thinking of changing my oil. I heard a bunch of people saying not to use fram because they dont flow good. What are some good ones? I just want to buy one off ebay. I'm guessing K&N

My first choice for a filter would be stock Suzuki, second choice would be anything else. Filters are basically just a wad of folded paper, get what's cheap.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have found the auto parts sell's them cheaper than ebay does. I order 3 at a time from Auto zone about 20 bucks or so.
      I use fram oil filter and change it every other oil change.
      The oil I use is castrol 10w-40 changed every 1500 miles give or take.

Comment

I've used Fram in my 1000 for about 18 years.
        No failures, no problems.

Sometimes the gasket is cheaper than in other Fram filters.
        They need quality control for gaskets.........

And Walmart sells em really cheap.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

There are differences in oil filters. They are not all just "wads of folded paper". Construction is better in some filters, and others can fall apart internally. I don't like the Fram filters, not only because of reports of poor quality on the internet, but because the O-ring with the filter is the wrong one for my bike. It is too small and will cause an oil leak from the cover if installed with the included O-ring. The O-ring supplied is actually for another GS model.

I have had good success with Hiflofiltro Oil Filters. They are high quality sturdily constructed filters that come with two O-rings, one of which is the right one for my bike. They are also reasonably priced at $3.99 each. Shipping is $6 for orders under $100 and free over $100.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks View Post
            There are differences in oil filters. They are not all just "wads of folded paper". Construction is better in some filters, and others can fall apart internally. I don't like the Fram filters, not only because of reports of poor quality on the internet, but because the O-ring with the filter is the wrong one for my bike. It is too small and will cause an oil leak from the cover if installed with the included O-ring. The O-ring supplied is actually for another GS model.

I have had good success with Hiflofiltro Oil Filters. They are high quality sturdily constructed filters that come with two O-rings, one of which is the right one for my bike. They are also reasonably priced at $3.99 each. Shipping is $6 for orders under $100 and free over $100.

Well, the stock Suzuki oil filter does not come with a front cover gasket so I accept that one that does is a bouns.

Regarding the filters themselves, I also accept that there are going to be differences but they are minor for the most part. Particularly filters on our GS bikes because there is no outside can, no pressure valve, etc.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

yeah, i was looking into that hiflofiltro. think ill order that.

Comment

fliters

Dont use anything but stock. Ive seen a accessory one collapse destroying a complete engine. Why save a few dollars on this important part? Whats next cheng shin tyres on youre sports bike!

Comment

Watch out on those Fram filters, the gaskets are junk! I ended up with a leak after I installed it the first time, had to do it over again and ended up reusing the old gasket, it was noticably thicker than the replacement that came with the Fram filter! No leaks since!!!!!
                  Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                  87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                  99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                  15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Fram filters and gaskets almost exclusively in almost 21 years and almost a quarter of a million miles on GS Suzuki shafties. Present GK has 111,000 miles, 86,000 of which are mine. I don't remember using any other oil filter besides Fram. Filters have always stayed together, never broken apart, never caused any engine damage.

Save your money. The filter brand doesn't make that much difference when we change the oil and filter as often as most of us do. Others may disagree, which is fine.

Cheap Grandpa
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2006, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                      Fram filters and gaskets almost exclusively in almost 21 years and almost a quarter of a million miles on GS Suzuki shafties. Present GK has 111,000 miles, 86,000 of which are mine. I don't remember using any other oil filter besides Fram. Filters have always stayed together, never broken apart, never caused any engine damage.

Save your money. The filter brand doesn't make that much difference when we change the oil and filter as often as most of us do. Others may disagree, which is fine.

Cheap Grandpa
                      Poor Cheap Grandpa,

Thinks he's saving money by buying expensive Fram filters.:-D But at least they come with the right O-ring for shafties. If you don't have a shaftie, odds are it may not work.

Comment

Yes, Boondocks, I'm cheap, and proud of it. I'm also not as smart as you, which explains why I'm so dumb that I buy cheap oil filters which have worked just fine in my long experience with GS shafties.

Dumb Cheap Poor Grandpa, deferring to a much higher power called Boondocks.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                          Dont use anything but stock. Ive seen a accessory one collapse destroying a complete engine. Why save a few dollars on this important part? Whats next cheng shin tyres on youre sports bike!
                          The Hiflofiltro filters are the only ones on the market including OEM that are TUV and ISO certified for quality assurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                            Yes, Boondocks, I'm cheap, and proud of it. I'm also not as smart as you, which explains why I'm so dumb that I buy cheap oil filters which have worked just fine in my long experience with GS shafties.

Dumb Cheap Poor Grandpa, deferring to a much higher power called Boondocks.
                            Thank you for your deference and appropriately modest self image.:-D

How much are you paying for the Fram filters? Fram and "cheap" are not usually used in the same context. If a Fram filter costs more than the one I recommended, how is this being "cheap"?

Comment

Why should I reply to your question, Boondocks, when you're so much smarter than I am?

I paid $15 for six Fram filters on eBay earlier this year. This included shipping. I was the only bidder. Usually it's Fram that's available.

The same way I get my brake pads, (another source of disagreement with His Majesty Boondocks), usually EBC's (but I've also bought Ferodos, Vesrahs, and generic ones). I enter the starting bid, and if I get it, fine; if not, no big deal.

Whatever's cheap and available and delivered to my front door.

Dumb old cheap poor Grandpa, again deferring to the Almighty Boondocks
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2006, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X