Broken Float post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Float post

Hey I have a broken float post and I know one guy said that he found a way to fix it with out having to buy new carbs and I have sent him a caouple messages with no responce. So I was wondering if any one konws if that is even possible. because to me it seems highly unlikely. the only solution to me would be JB weld but that would be eaten away by the gas so if any one konws what I could do that would be helpful.
    Thank you

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

HAVE YOU TRIED www.motorcyclecarbs.com aprox cost $ 50
      Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2006, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I broke a post off a carb this summer. Took the carb to the local metal shop and they welded it back on. Cost me 30 bucks. I have yet to try it. Bike is still in the process of being raised from the dead.

Rick

Comment

JB weld will NOT dissolve in the gas...

i personally have used it successfully.
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

What bike is it? Maybe someone here has a spare laying around.

Comment

I have 3 good carb bodies...they are pretty gummed up, they have not been touched in 10 years...I got the whole rack , used the one that I needed...
              If you want, I have them...minus #1 carb body..
              Let me know...

Comment

I also used JB-Weld to repair one. Gas didn't seem to affect it.
                Cheers, Mike.

Comment

Drill little holes in both ends (not terribly deep) of the mating surface, cut a length of paper clip to span the length of the holes when it's back together, then glue it up with JB Weld (work it inside the holes good). The paper clip peice between the holes gives it more strength. JB Weld does NOT dissolve in gas.

Comment

True, JB Weld does not dissolve in gas, but it will lose its bond and eventually the joint will separate. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later. :-)

Earl
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

someone on this board listed a aviation or marine epoxy they used on a float post repair maybe they will pipe up.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

JB Weld advertises that it is acceptable inside fuel systems. I myself have repaired a float post and used carbs fixed this way.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I had one welded on. It's cheap to get done and it will never come apart.
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2006, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I too have had success for the past three years with a JB fixed post. When it does decide to delam I will more then likely do the drill and pin technique to it for a more permanent fix.

Comment

Working...
                            X