GS 125 ESD Renovation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 125 ESD Renovation

I'm currently renovating a 83 GS 125 for my girlfriend to have as her learner bike and it's getting close to completion.

The bike wasn't running when we purchased it on account of the the gaping whole in the top of the cylinder and broken inlet valve.

This is the first time I have undertaken an engine rebuild of this magnitude and I was hoping some of you could clear up a couple of concerns I have.
    Firstly, even though I have ensured that the two TDC marks are in their correct orientation I am concerned that something else may have contributed or caused the timing to go causing the initial failure. What should I be checking or on the look out for before I start the engine again?

Secondly, the bike had sat outside with its cylinder head removed for some time and so consequently had taking in some water, fortunately the engine still turns over freely and I could not see any rust. I have removed the magneto cover, clutch cover and oil screen cover and removed as much oil/ water as possible with out dismantling the bottom end. Is there something else I should do to remove any water still remaining or will it boil away harmlessly?

Many thanks in advance.

Drain the oil, fill crankcase with fresh oil add about 1 cup of methylated spirit, remove the sparkplug and turn the motor over several times by hand. Drain oil again, change oil filter and refill.
    This should resolve both issues for you. BTW it sounds like the initial "blow up" was from over revving or a dropped valve.

Dink

Comment

dont forget to clean the oil pump pick up gauze ,i ruined a cam and head due to blockage and top end oil starvation

Comment

Originally posted by gerkin View Post
        dont forget to clean the oil pump pick up gauze ,i ruined a cam and head due to blockage and top end oil starvation
        Already done, the was a fat wadge of electrical tape and liquid (dried) gasket goo in there

Comment

Originally posted by Nathanh View Post
          Already done, the was a fat wadge of electrical tape and liquid (dried) gasket goo in there
          And that is why the engine "blew-up"

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
            And that is why the engine "blew-up"

Dink
            Yes it all seemed so obvious once I'd written it down

Comment

Working...
            X