banging noise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

banging noise...

something to do with the clutch, at idle, makes a banging noise, if you pull clutch lever it goes away.

Been that way for 20k miles, I am a little lazy and it never effected the bike, so I never dealt with it.

82 1100E

I thought I remember someone saying it was some kind of spring failure or looseness on the clutch?

Can anyone give me details of this, I want to fix it before the bike goes on the market.

Thanks
    K

Mine does that too.

Dunno why.

Comment

take clutch cover off and take a look. Its possibly a spring.

Comment

mine does it also an 82 1100e, once warmed up its gone, its like the clutch basket is rattling or somethin, ime thinkin on checkin it out this winter

Comment

it quiets down a little when warm, but still there....

I guess I gotta look.

K

Comment

It's not your clutch it is my head against the wall](*,)

Comment

The outer clutch hub and the primary gear are held together by three large rivets, there are also six springs mounted on the rear of the outer clutch hub, these lose tension allowing some play into the system. This is the rattle you hear, as it gets worse some springs will break and pieces may wander off into the motor doing all sorts of cool damage.

Dink

Comment

High EB1100,
                I sent my Clutch basket off and had the rivets replaced where they weld and balance the thing and still had problem just as you described now.After a lot of research on this subject,I balanced the carbs last week,first time since 89 and made a amazing difference on mine,virtually all gone.There is also a small rubber cushion that goes between the basket and I believe the oil pump drive gear between basket and input shaft in gear train. Has anyone here ever replaced this?? and did it make much difference?? I also read this is a common characteristic of this design on these GS's models ?? I have had only ONE Suzuki the Kat I have now. Ah, love at first sight !Good luck!!!

Comment

GS series bikes are very sensitive to set up. Carb balance can make a huge difference to engine noises. The small rubber "bung" you mention should indeed be replaced, as this will also help, however the main reason this noise exists is the "play developing between the primary gear and the clutch hub, and the loss of tension in the springs.

Dink

Comment

A lot of Honda and Kawasaki fours do that too, but not usually Yamahas for some reason.
                    It never seems to happen on the twins.
                    As you have found out, careful carb balancing and engine tuning will greatly improve things.
                    This is one of the reasons I ride a twin, they are less hassle all round.
                    It's my personal opinion that a proper motorbike should have one or two cylinders, no more.8-[
                    No offence to you guys on your GS fours, they are great machines!:-D

Comment

Strange!

My Yamaha XV700S makes the same noise the same way! Love the V-Twin, but believe me, there's no less problems, and the smooth torque of a GS850G is something to behold!

Comment

Working...
                      X