X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450e oil advice

hi im new here
    anyway i own a gs450e but dont own a manual yet not even a owners book

so could do with a little advice having been out of motorbiking for a few years lol

what oil do i use for the gearbox ?

whats the best oil to use for the engine

thanks in advance
    boris

Hi, welcome to the clan!:-D
    The engine and gearbox use the same oil supply and the recommended grade is 10W/40. Don't use cheap oil in this motor, make sure it's top quality.
    When you check the oil level, don't screw the combined filler plug/dipstick in, just rest it on the top of the engine cover.
    I have a GS450, and they are great bikes if properly maintained, otherwise they can deteriorate fast.
    Get a manual as soon as you can!

Comment

Originally posted by steve-lloyd View Post
      Hi, welcome to the clan!:-D
      The engine and gearbox use the same oil supply and the recommended grade is 10W/40. Don't use cheap oil in this motor, make sure it's top quality.
      When you check the oil level, don't screw the combined filler plug/dipstick in, just rest it on the top of the engine cover.
      I have a GS450, and they are great bikes if properly maintained, otherwise they can deteriorate fast.
      Get a manual as soon as you can!
      thanks for the welcome

i only just recently picked my gs450e up last week
      looking for a manual its no1 on my list

my nearest place for bike stuff is a 2 hour bus ride lol
      so im keeping my eye on ebay until i make the trip
      most of my times been taken cleaning her up and sorting bits (that i dont need a manual for) when insomnia kicks in

im itching to start spannering as im pretty sure i need a clutch
      and a new front tyre (on its way) the only things keeping me from getting a mot and being on the road, fingers crossed lol

Comment

Hi Boris

Heres something for you.Had a 450 myself upto a few months ago upgraded to a 750.They are a great bike.

Brenno

Comment

Another Brit... Hello

Using Castrol GTX 10w 40 in mine.... loads of debate on here about oil.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

allways seems no matter what the vehicle is theirs allways arguments about oil lol
            am a fan of castrol oil lol ive probably had 7 or 8 barrels worth for free in my time hehhehee

thanks for them links brenno, do they come up often?

Comment

Originally posted by boris View Post
              allways seems no matter what the vehicle is theirs allways arguments about oil lol
              am a fan of castrol oil lol ive probably had 7 or 8 barrels worth for free in my time hehhehee

thanks for them links brenno, do they come up often?
              G'Day Boris

yeah i have seen them on OZ ebay.Seems that these ones are in your nick of the woods.

Brenno

Comment

Originally posted by brenno View Post
                G'Day Boris

yeah i have seen them on OZ ebay.Seems that these ones are in your nick of the woods.

Brenno
                i`ll have to get on ebay and do some buying lol
                after ive been and checked ive not spent all my pocket money this week
                roflmao roll on friday cos its payday

Comment

Working...
                X