Cleaning inside of magneto cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning inside of magneto cover

I finally got the last gasket in the mail last night and after cleaning and polishing the magneto/alternator/stator/LH case cover, I've accumulated alot of crud inside. I cannot get the stator out of the cover...good Lord knows I've tried and tried.

Would it be ok to rinse the whole thing in fresh water and let it air dry for the next couple of days and then blow it out with a can of air? I figure the thing is bathed in oil anyway, what harm could water do? Any other ideas on how best to clean the inside before I reassemble everything?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2006, 09:52 PM.

Get yourself a can of GUNK engine degreaser...it works great and it won't take any of the coating on the stator windings off. If you can do it without getting caught, let it soak in the degreaser for about an hour, rinse all the junk in the cover out, and slip it into the dishwasher. Run it through a short cycle small amount of soap and heat dry. Make sure it is on the top rack and you clean up any mess or you and the cover will become good friends, sleeping in the garrage. 8-[

YOU DIDN'T HEAR THIS ADVISE FROM ME...I WILL DENY ANY AND ALL KNOWLEDGE OF IT!!!! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      Get yourself a can of GUNK engine degreaser...it works great and it won't take any of the coating on the stator windings off. If you can do it without getting caught, let it soak in the degreaser for about an hour, rinse all the junk in the cover out, and slip it into the dishwasher. Run it through a short cycle small amount of soap and heat dry. Make sure it is on the top rack and you clean up any mess or you and the cover will become good friends, sleeping in the garrage. 8-[

YOU DIDN'T HEAR THIS ADVISE FROM ME...I WILL DENY ANY AND ALL KNOWLEDGE OF IT!!!! :-D
      Hey..what did I ever do to you? Mamma caught me, that cover and I wouldn't be friends, we'd be intimate :shock:

So you've done this yourself and no probs, eh? I might have to modify it a little for my own safety, but will give it a go. Thanks.

Comment

WD40- basically fancy kerosene in a spray can. All I use it for is to clean greasy, oily engine parts.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
          WD40- basically fancy kerosene in a spray can. All I use it for is to clean greasy, oily engine parts.
          I've read that in a hundred different posts, at least. I've got a can I use all the time. So why didn't I think of that?

Of course I just got back from picking up the degreaser at the parts store. I think I'll use tips from both suggestions since I don't really want to put my wiring harness hanging off the stator thru the dishwasher. I do have a faucet sprayer tho in the kitchen sink that should do nicely.

Comment

You can get the stator out with an impact driver.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I used a little plastic cake knife to scrape off most of the gunk. The remaining stuff I took care of with engine degreaser, and it did the trick just fine

Comment

You can pull it out and clean it but if you want to clean it in place use safety glasses and Chemtool.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  You can get the stator out with an impact driver.
                  I'm a fan of the impact tool, that was one of my earliest purchases after I joined the forum but one screw just will not come out and I'm done trying to break the case. At least for now. There will come a day that screw's got to come out...today's not it.:-D

Thanks for the tips. It's warm enough I'm going to go finish that last cover.

Comment

I'd be careful using chemtool around the stator windings. Chemtool is pretty strong and might ruin the insulation on the windings.

Comment

Working...
                    X