Resistance is futile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resistance is futile

Has anyone every measured the resistance of an 81 GS11 spark plug cap? I'm having a cool running #2 cylinder that looks to be electrical. I switched out the carbs so it most likely isn't a carb problem. And oh yeah the petcock is ok too, I just repaired and tested it. Also I switched plugs with #1 so that's out. Plug is dry and grey/tan in color. The other part of the sparking pair is good so I'm thinking wire or maybe plug cap. The cap is specing out at about 40K ohms. Is this too high?

I think that is too high. What do the others measure?

Comment

Check for fuel or vacuum leak in the petcock vacuum hose Swap the #2 & #3 plug wires to see if it make any difference

Comment

Originally posted by retrex View Post
        Has anyone every measured the resistance of an 81 GS11 spark plug cap? I'm having a cool running #2 cylinder that looks to be electrical. I switched out the carbs so it most likely isn't a carb problem. And oh yeah the petcock is ok too, I just repaired and tested it. Also I switched plugs with #1 so that's out. Plug is dry and grey/tan in color. The other part of the sparking pair is good so I'm thinking wire or maybe plug cap. The cap is specing out at about 40K ohms. Is this too high?

Resistance for the cap is supposed to be 5k ohms.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Time to punt

I hooked up a set of headers and did the above mentioned tests, the bike was already disassembled for winter storage.

Switching wires on #2 and #3, made no difference. The "brand new" plug on #2 was removed and tested out at 4k ohms. I swapped in old plug with 0 ohms resistance and it ran a bit smoother, but still cool.

I tested two other plug caps for resistance and both test out as open, infinite resistance, circuits but the cyclinders are running ok. ?????? I did not test the third due to waining light.

I actually took out the risistance element in one cap and it was completely non-conductive. I checked and 5k should be the resistance, thanks Earl. Once I get the bike in the basement I am going to look both at the electricals and once again at the petcock.

Someone PMd me advice to the effect that I should replace the resistance element with a heavy gauge copper wire. Any thoughts on this? Will it harm the ingintion system black box? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X