Parking uphill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parking uphill

My bike hates to be parked uphill. When I leave it pointing up overnight, in the morning there is a puddle of gas under the bike and it is impossible to start. I think that maybe the angle is causing all the gas to run out of the vent hoses and then there's no gas left in the carbs, preventing it from firing. Am I right? Is my bike normal in doing this?

Thanks guys.

G'day Max,

That will probably be the needle valves in your carbs not seating properly, probably not helped by the 'sideways' pull of gravity on the needles when you've parked the bike on the slope.

If the fuel is still running out, the other problem may also be that the vacuum diaphragm in the fuel tap isn't properly shutting off when the engine stops (most GS Suzukis have a vacuum-operated fuel tap which is operated by manifold vacuum).

Solutions:
    1. Replace needle valve assemblies in each carb, and/or get a new vacuum diaphragm for your fuel tap.
    2. Get a manual fuel tap fitted to the tank, and turn it off when the bike is parked.

You may also need to check that if fuel has been running constantly from the tank into the carbs courtesy of the worn needle valve seats, that it hasn't also filled your crankcase with fuel (when it runs into the cylinders from the carbs and down past the pistons into the crankcase). If so, change your oil pronto.

Mike.

Comment

THe CV carbs do not tolerate being at an angle at all unless the engine is running. Keihins are better in this regard. The carbs run a very high float level and for this reason Suzuki fitted a vacuum petcock.

One more question, are you leaving the petcock on the PRI position? this will turn gas on full time to the carbs and when on a hill or even the sidestand they will leak.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Incidentally, I get a similar problem with the VM carbies on my GS1000S. If I turn the engine off after putting the bike on the side-stand, I will get a slow drip out of the overflow pipe for carbie #2. If I turn the engine off while the bike is still vertical, and then put it on the sidestand, no leak whatsoever.

I guess after 26 years it may be time to invest in a fresh set of needle valves. But then, after 42 years, I'm still a scrooge.

Comment

Hey, thanks guys. I've totally learned my lesson about leaving the petcock on prime; one time I had to change the oil five times over the course of a month cause I kept forgetting. Maybe I exaggerated the size of this puddle, about the size of a large dinner plate, not the ocean on the garage floor that prime used to give me.

Oh well. Lesson learned. I'll look into those needles.

Comment

Check & repair the petcock before messing with the float needles

Comment

Working...
            X