Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Float height specs for 77 GS 550 VM Carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float height specs for 77 GS 550 VM Carb?

1977 GS 550E
    Stock VM carbs
    Stock airbox
    Stock exhaust

In the Clymers manual, the specs call for a 26mm float height. Is this measurement to be taken with or without the carb gasket in place? Also, I've read in some other posts that 26 is too high and that 24mm is the correct height. Can someone clear this up for me?

Your model should have VM22SS carbs as stock.
    My 850 has VM26SS carbs. Clymer quotes 23-25mm from the bowl sealing surface to the bottom of the float, when it is lightly seating on the inlet needle. If you measure from the gasket, you reduce the setting by 1mm.
    Cheers
    Ian
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

I don't have 550 factory info but there's a "carb spec" thread around here that may. The "other" manuals frequently have incorrect info. Search.
      I believe about .94" is very close to correct.
      Always measure with the gasket removed. If you have weak float valve springs, replace them or your adjustments will not be what you intend.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

thanks.
        I've learned so much through reading previous threads. I might as well have taken an entire course in carbureator cleaning.
        You guys provide amazing support to the GS community.

Comment

Would it be safe to assume that the same measurements would apply to a '79 550?
          I will be working on a friend's bike this weekend and he does not have a book yet.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't think there would be any difference between '77 and '79 VM22 float levels. You can always make a new topic asking for that specific info and someone (hopefully with a factory manual) will verify it.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X