No announcement yet.

All GS1150 owners please take one minute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own a GSX1100EFE (GS1150) and the only hassle I've had with bad vibes was with the front fairing, so I removed it. Now there are no rattling sounds and I can see so much, the stock fairing really does block your vision I found. Windblast isn't a problem it just makes riding more exciting!!

Comment

1150 vibration, specific cause or normal?

I'll throw out my two cents.
      I recall hearing some info on the big bore kits available(1600cc @ up)
      The thing that stuck with me was hearing ' you don't have to rebalance the crank with this kit'.
      If you take this statement to its' logical conclusion you reason that the two inner piston sets at bottom dead center counteract the weight of the two outboard pistons at top dead center.
      Quaint theory but obviously the vibration is increased but of a different type.
      If you accept this reasoning that means when Suzuki developed the 1150 they did'nt compensate for the increased weight of the larger pistons by adding weight to the crank opposite to the piston.
      The guys in the bike shop next door to my work rode these when the 1150s' were new and noticed this also. They say the 85 models were indeed rebalanced and vibrated much less.

Comment

Hi!

I have big vibrations coming from the engine at my GS 1150/GSX1100 -84. The vibrations are so inconvenient that I avoid to drive at that speed.

At other speeds the bike runs real good.

The vibrations come between 108 - 122 km/h in 5:th gear.

The bike has the following history and the vibrations have been the same all the time.

1. I bought it as an EF with full fairing
        2. I rebuild it with original part to an E-model without fairing
        3. I replaced the clutch basket to a new one (due to the inner steel ring was loose)
        4. I repaired the starter clutch and had to remove the rotor, so it is now mounted in an other position
        5. I have had different type of tires (due to normal change)

All of this didn?t have any effect on the vibrations at 108 - 122 km/h

Hope you at least can make conclusions what not has helped.

Comment

1150 Vibrations

I have 2 1150's, one in an 83 1100 frame, with rubber mounts added, and one in the stock 1150 frame from 84. Both are 84 motors but the one on the 83 frame was beaten and crashed by the previous owner. The other only had 9K on it.

The beaten engine, I sent the crank to Falicon for super crank mods. I also had the stock hub reinforced at Falicon. Still after all this work, it still vibrated. Much more than my older 80 1100ET. The 9K engine is much smoother, but still a vibrator.

Somebody in these 3 pages of posts asked about using different pistons. I have MTC pistons installed. They have very long skirts with ceramic buttons instead of wristpins clips. They are 1230 pistons, that weigh roughly the same as stock. With these installed, the bike actually feels smoother than before. The vibes are still there, but are a deeper harmonic, more pleasant to live with.

Above about 83 mph (5000+rpms) vibes smooth out considerably on both bikes, almost to a point where you're wondering what's going on, why is it so smooth now, at this speed?

My rotor nut came loose once along with the magnet exploding, which caused vibration. 2 starter clutches broke all 8 mm allens. My clutch bolt loosened to finger tight, eventhough the locking tab was still bent over. All these instances caused noticeable vibration increases. Upon inspection of the latter, my inner clutch hub, the part that holds all the plates, is just hammered. Dents galore plus the splines that line up the hub on the shaft have widened. Time for a new one of those.

A gearhead friend also mentioned the size of the wristpins in the 1150 versus the 1100 as being larger causing more vibration and thus the need for rubber mounts. I also heard as someone else mentioned here about torquing the motor mounts so that the engine is sort of floating in the mounted postion, not leaning hard against any one set of mounts when torquing to spec. I
          enjoy reading all the posts about our bike. Thanks Carter
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
          X