GS850 79' Horns and carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 79' Horns and carbs

Bought my bike and found out that it was missing the horns. Kinda need those to pass inspection. Previous owner decided that he would try to hook up one from a car.

Just wondering which horns would be compatible with my bike. Found on ebay 2 sets of GS850 horns, these 81' horns that come with a bracket http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...56474895QQrdZ1

and these 79' horns that come without a bracket linking them http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...59908872QQrdZ1

do i need that bracket btwn them? are they compatible anyways? Is this the end of the world as we know it?

Thanks for you help

Oh, and also the carbs were off the bike, i figured out ( i think) how to get fuel to them the bike runs, but who knows i might be feeding fuel through a vacum or drainage port, so i'm just wondering what goes where, i see the fuel valve on the tank and then this smaller other thing that i'm guessing is the fuel level guage, no idea where those tubes go, or any of the others.

Thanks again

Either set of horns should work. Not sure about the bridge between the horns on the one set, my wife's bike never had it on hers. However, I did change her horns to Highway Blasters from Pep Boys, and installed a relay to ensure they get full battery power for maximum volume.

Carb connections...
    There should be two hose barbs coming out of the petcock. The larger one should run to the T fitting between carbs 2 and 3. In-line with the legs of the T fitting should be straight fittings between carbs 1&2, and 3&4. Just above this straight fitting will be another T fitting, but this is a vent. The hoses on the vents should hang down under the airbox. The smaller fitting on the petcock is the vacuum fitting that turns it on when the engine is running. It connects to the smaller fitting on the left side of carb #2.

The fuel level gauge sender is on the right side of the tank. There should be a plastic catch-can under it with a drain hose that get routed along the frame, down to the swingarm area, along with the battery vent hose.

Summary: One fuel feed to the CENTER of the carbs, which then splits and feeds the outer carbs. VENTS are between the outer and inner carbs. VACUUM from #2 to petcock. Gauge DRAIN runs along the right frame rail to the bottom.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pet-cock vacuum fitting on VM 26 carbs found on the '79 model hooks up to the #3 carb, not #2 as posted above (#2 is right for CV carbs). The three others vent to atmosphere. Other info. is correct.

There are lots of aftermarket motorcycle horns you can probably use on your bike along with those noted above. Check out jcwhitney.com for example if you can't find stock ones.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-12-2006, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Get the 79 horns so that you have the correct brackets

Comment

Gs 1150 horns?

will Suzuki GS1150 1984,85 horns work?

Comment

will 1984, 84 Gs1150 horns be compatible also, thanks

Comment

I'm pretty sure any horn will "Work" You may just need to cut the wires and fabricate brackets.

Comment

Any Horns

Any horns at all should work just fine. I bought 2 from the Checker down the road. If you need/get both, get 1 high note, and 1 low note. Most horns will come with a "universal" bracket to mount them, or they will probably bolt to your existing bracket. Also, if space is a problem for you, as it was for me, make sure you get Low Profile. If in doubt, take an original with you and match it up. Also, when you mount them, make sure they're not hitting/rubbing against anything, like the tank. That will REALLY mute them, sounding like a sick goose. As to wiring them? Universal horns normally have a regular spade terminal, and should plug into existing wires.

Comment

Working...
                X