Dyna 2000 Troubleshoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna 2000 Troubleshoot

I have a Dyna 2000 ignition unit hooked to dyna 3.0 ohm coils installed on my '85 GS700. I have run it without problems for about 5K miles. Recently, I started having hard starts and cylinders dropping out while cruising.

I checked the wiring, coils, plugs and plug wires. I just finished installing new coils this morning. No joy.

The crank trigger seems to be accurately reporting the crank position, alternating +12V from each pickup as the crank magnet spins. However, the LED on the ignition module never blinks, indicating the triggers. Also, I get a constant +12V from both coils at all times, and no spark.

I suspect my ignition unit is fried. Any thoughts on this?

Also, how could I go about testing the ignition module?

Thanks

Send an email to Dyna I'm sure the have some sort of trouble shooting info

Comment

Sounds like nothing is switching the coils to me....
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by richardhaggarty View Post
        I have a Dyna 2000 ignition unit hooked to dyna 3.0 ohm coils installed on my '85 GS700. I have run it without problems for about 5K miles. Recently, I started having hard starts and cylinders dropping out while cruising.

I checked the wiring, coils, plugs and plug wires. I just finished installing new coils this morning. No joy.

The crank trigger seems to be accurately reporting the crank position, alternating +12V from each pickup as the crank magnet spins. However, the LED on the ignition module never blinks, indicating the triggers. Also, I get a constant +12V from both coils at all times, and no spark.

I suspect my ignition unit is fried. Any thoughts on this?

Also, how could I go about testing the ignition module?

Thanks
        The blinking LED on the Dyna2000 is the self test function for the module/black box. If it does not blink, the box is fried. I have a 2000 unit with the same problem. Dyna will rebuild it for about $200. I havent sent mine in since I had a spare "S" to replace it with.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I would hope Dyna would stand behind their product for more than 5K on the clock.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I would hope Dyna would stand behind their product for more than 5K on the clock.
            At the time, I contacted Dyna's main office in Ca. I had about 1500 miles on the Dyna 2000 that was installed in my 1150 with Dyna 3 ohm coils. They were not willing to offer any replacement/compensation. I can understand why they would not. If you have a faulty R/R that is overcharging, the voltage level can be high enough to fry the Dyna ignition module. There is no way I can say positively what caused the breakdown. It could be the Dyna was faulty, however, I'm more inclined to believe the charging system had a fault. I had replaced the factory electronic ignition that burned out with the Dyna 2000, which also eventually burned out. With the last replacement (Dyna S ), I replaced the stator, R/R, battery and grounds. No more problems.

If you're burning out Dyna ignitions, my opinion is its likely your fault and not the Dyna. :-)

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              At the time, I contacted Dyna's main office in Ca. I had about 1500 miles on the Dyna 2000 that was installed in my 1150 with Dyna 3 ohm coils. They were not willing to offer any replacement/compensation. I can understand why they would not. If you have a faulty R/R that is overcharging, the voltage level can be high enough to fry the Dyna ignition module. There is no way I can say positively what caused the breakdown. It could be the Dyna was faulty, however, I'm more inclined to believe the charging system had a fault. I had replaced the factory electronic ignition that burned out with the Dyna 2000, which also eventually burned out. With the last replacement (Dyna S ), I replaced the stator, R/R, battery and grounds. No more problems.

If you're burning out Dyna ignitions, my opinion is its likely your fault and not the Dyna. :-)

Earl
              Good post Earl.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I sent an email to Dyna through there website tech support form:

Dyna TekMail responded this way:
                ...If you find the module or crank trigger to be defective, the replacement charge is only $123.00 for the module, and $67.00 for the crank trigger, unless they are under the 1 year warranty, then the price is $00.00! Testing is also free, in case you are not sure about the condition of the system, just send it in...
                Those prices are more palatable then buying a new new package retail (approx. $300). The free testing is also a nice gesture; whether it is worth it with the shipping costs and time is a whole other issue.

Suspecting my battery early on in this problem I replaced it. Also, I have a new R/R and Stator both from Electrex. I believe I have all my bases covered as far as the charging system goes.

If you're burning out Dyna ignitions, my opinion is its likely your fault and not the Dyna.
                This may be true. I seem to remember while troubleshooting this problem forgetting to connect the ignition module's dedicated ground. I tried to turn it over once or twice before noticing. I suspect may have fried the module.

A new module is on the way. I'll post the results.

Comment

Working...
                X