Air screw adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air screw adjustments

My carbs are fouled up (have been fouled up since i bought the bike 9 months ago). I recently took them off to rejet the main jet and move the needle notch based on a recommendation of chef. While in the process I also set all the air screws to two turns out.

Now It won't idle without the choke (still pops like hell though). If it won;t idle without the choke it's lean right? So which way would I need to turn the air screws?

Thank you much

Hi JC. I`m pretty sure if you wind the screws in (clockwise) it richens things up, wind them out and it weakens the mixture. Having said that though, I know on some carbs it is the other way around. On both my GS750`s I`ve found that although the manual setting is 1 & 3/4 turns, I have to turn the scews in again one turn before the bikes will idle at all. No doubt if I`m wrong one of the other guys will let us know !.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Thanks Tomo, much appreciated!

Comment

On his CV carbs it is the opposite. Righty -leany lefty- richy
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

*Click* It all just came together.... thus you using 47.5s.... got it... Thanks for the clarification

Comment

How many screw turns out is too many? I'm at 4 out now and I'm just about idling somewhat consistently, though I have some popping on deceleration. I still think that I need the new jets Chef mentioned, but is 4, 4.5 turns way too many?

Comment

You're in the same boat I was when I was jetting and went up to the 47.5 pilots. My screws are out about 1.5 to 2 turns now.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

4 plus turns and no joy means the screws are beyond their usable adjustment range and you need larger pilot jets and possibly larger air jets.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks Keith. I ordered both yesterday to the tune of 55 bucks. Jets are expensive

Comment

Working...
                  X